Re: DRM one of reasons for Blu-Ray win

> ____/ Tom Shelton on Wednesday 20 February 2008 16:32 : \____
>
>> On 2008-02-20, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> ____/ Linonut on Wednesday 20 February 2008 12:36 : \____

>>> Oops. Typo/slip. DRM it should have been. I didn't reread it.

>>> Internet television is pretty nice. It's interactive, searchable,
>>> recordable. As for HD DVD, that's going to cost Microsoft. It is already
>>> trying to deny this because analysts predict kah-kah for XBox.
>>>

>> How exactly is it going to hurt MS or the XBox?  The xbox doesn't use
>> HD-DVD for it's games.  It was simply an addon unit, that you can buy.
>> An addon, Roy.  Not standard equipment.
>
> PS3 sales will increase at XBox's expense (360 that is). PS3 does Blu-ray (just
> stating the obvious here).

Shelton's spin is a kind of lightweight version of Erik or Timmy.
Clearly, all those people who've bought HD-DVD drives will be seriously
upset to find that they're useless.  All that inventory in the channels
which is now unsaleable is going to seriously upset the wholesalers and
retailers.  The companies which tooled-up factories to make the drives,
presumably expecting to make a profit in later years, are going to be
upset.  And they're *all* going to be upset with Microsoft.  Toshiba
will never trust them again, of course, and Sony have a resounding and
public win.

All those people who've bought PS3s will be running around claiming  how
smart they were, those who bought Xboxes will be embarrassed.  The whole
situation is a disaster for Microsoft, who've pushed hard to get
traction into the "hollywood" space, and clearly failed miserably here,
and for Toshiba, whose last set of customers will be unlikely to buy
anything from them again.

>> I read last year that MS was already talking to some one (I can't
>> remember who) about developing a blu-ray player addon for the xbox 360.
>> There was a reason that MS didn't make the HD-DVD standard in the xbox -
>> and that was because they didn't want to be tied to the format if it
>> didn't take off.
>>
>> I think you'll find that in the end, the HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray war was
>> pointless.  The future is in downloadable content.  Apple TV, Comcast On
>> Demand, XBox live, and Amazon.  XBox live already has hd-content and is
>> rumored to be partnering with Netflix - which should push their selection to
>> over 7,000 movies/tv shows for on demand viewing.  Nope, this format war
>> was a destraction.
>
> That's a theory that Jobs and other support. Some older-age people prefer
> physical copies for the same reason many people prefer books (I personally
> live paperless).

Shelton Spin warning...  "The last Microsoft strategic push failed, so
now it was just a distraction, the /real/ push is next, honest guv, just
around the corner - you'll see...  The US$millions wasted really were
just a distraction, hey, shareholders - pretend it didn't happen."

Now, how often have we heard that from the Microsoft Shillcosystem here?
Does anyone still believe that Shelton is anything other than a
Microsoft Shill?