[News] [Rival] Broken Update to a Broken Vista O/S, People Hopping Mad!

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Broken Update to a Broken Vista O/S, People Hopping Mad!
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 06:18:50 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft pulls Vista update

,----[ Quote ]
| AFTER AN UPDATE to Vista sent some PCs bananas, Microsoft pulled it, although
| it hasn't yet produced code to fix those bananas PCs.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/02/20/microsoft-pulls-vista-update

So let me see if I get this right. People drink the Kool-Aid or rather are
*forced* to buy Vista with a hefty price tag. Then, Microsoft shoots down the
PCs, claims no liability and the PC is out of order with no solution
available.

...Nice when it happens ahead of an important deadline and you can't even boot.
Installing a stripped-down Windows from scratch can be a nightmare (no
applications even preloaded) and pulling a backup from an unbootable Windows
PC is virtually impossible without a Linux Live CD.

For Joe Wilcox, the error rate was 33%

It's true. Vista is the best thing to ever happen for GNU/Linux.

Recent:

Tech: Vista the best thing to happen to the PC industry.

,----[ Quote ]
| Any one of a number of Linux distributions will run on your existing PCs
| without cramping overhead; OpenOffice.Org will handle all of your document
| requirements including presentations and Firefox (and several other browsers)
| handle your browsing. They work, they are free of charge and our own
| experience is that once users have spent a couple of days with them, they
| don't want to go back to Windows or MS Office. Indeed, people that leave our
| own company ask if we can burn a set of disks for them to take when they go.
| Some even bring their own PCs into the office and ask for it to be turned
| into a Linux machine.
|
| Vista may well turn out to be Linux's best friend - and as that happens
| manufacturers are going to have to decide where their loyalties lie - with
| the consumer or with Microsoft.Those manufacturers have to learn one thing:
| if he who pays the piper calls the tune, consumers are at last realising that
| it is their money that keeps the PC industry going. And at last they are
| saying "hang on - do we need this?"
`----

http://chiefofficers.net/888333888/cms/index.php/news/thursday_tech/tech_vista_the_best_thing_to_happen_to_the_pc_industry

French police deal blow to Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| The French paramilitary police force said Wednesday it is ditching Microsoft
| for the free Linux operating system, becoming one of the biggest
| administrations in the world to make the break.
`----

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iU4Lq7tOR_WVOJLZ3IeRaIH03x6w

Related:

Holy Crap: Did Bill Gates Just Say Windows Sucks?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://gizmodo.com/342920/holy-crap-did-bill-gates-just-say-windows-sucks

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=9579