[News] Confusing GNU/Linux with Politics/Rebellion

  • Subject: [News] Confusing GNU/Linux with Politics/Rebellion
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 13:14:59 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Linux Use As A Political Act

,----[ Quote ]
| You may not consider yourself a political activist. Perhaps your initial
| interest in Linux had much to do with its zero-dollar price tag, reputation
| for stability, resistance to viruses, or huge software catalog. But, if you
| currently use it as your sole or primary operating system: why?
`----

http://menpro.blogspot.com/2007/12/linux-use-as-political-act.html

Related:

BitTorrent Admin Monitored by US Government, Forced to Dump Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Sk0t, an ex-administrator of the EliteTorrents BitTorrent tracker is to have
| his internet connection forcibly monitored by the US Government. If that
| wasn’t bad enough, the monitoring software is Windows based - which means he
| is being forced to ditch Linux - or face being barred from the internet.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-admin-monitored-by-us-government-forced-to-dump-linux/

Mark Cuban to ISPs: block all P2P traffic; Ars to Cuban: um, no

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course, there are many legitimate uses for P2P that Google Video can't
| replace, like distributing Linux ISOs. Furthermore, the notion that the only
|          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| people who benefit from P2P technology are the distributors is wrong. If I
| have the option of grabbing a download from a distant single server or from a
| torrent with hundreds of users, I'm going to opt for the torrent. Why? It's
| almost guaranteed to be faster, and let's face it: most BitTorrent software
| is quite adept at managing large downloads. Perhaps I want to throttle it
| while playing a game; perhaps I want to encrypt my transfers. If I'm
| distributing video or audio, perhaps I don't wish to be bound by the terms of
| Google Video.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071122-mark-cuban-to-isps-block-all-p2p-traffic.html

Animal Rights Activists Forced to Hand Over Encryption Keys

,----[ Quote ]
| If you remember, this was sold to the public as essential for fighting
| terrorism. It's already being misused.
`----

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2007/11/animal_rights_a.html

Judge: Man can't be forced to divulge encryption passphrase

,----[ Quote ]
| In this case, Judge Niedermeier took the second approach. He said that
| encryption keys can be "testimonial," and even the prosecution's alternative
| of asking the defendant to type in the passphrase when nobody was looking
| would be insufficient.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13578_3-9834495-38.html?tag=nefd.blgs

Did NSA Put a Secret Backdoor in New Encryption Standard?

,----[ Quote ]
| Which is why you should worry about a new random-number standard that
| includes an algorithm that is slow, badly designed and just might contain a
| backdoor for the National Security Agency.
`----

http://www.wired.com/politics/security/commentary/securitymatters/2007/11/securitymatters_1115

Microsoft could be teaching police to hack Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft may begin training the police in ways to break the
| encryption built into its forthcoming Vista operating system.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2150555/microsoft-teaching-police-hack

FBI ducks questions about its remotely installed spyware

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9747666-7.html