[News] Koreans Build an iPhone-like Device Using Linux

  • Subject: [News] Koreans Build an iPhone-like Device Using Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 06:31:24 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
iRiver to Release GSM, Linux-Based iPhone Clone

,----[ Quote ]
| Over at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Nevada, Korean technology
| firm iRiver has been exhibiting a prototype device known as the "iRiver GSM
| Phone". According to PC Magazine, the unit bears an uncanny resemblance to
| Apple's iPhone, is powered by the Linux operating system and features a 3",
| 480 x 272 pixel touchscreen, single button at the bottom of the device,
| support for multiple types of media (including Adobe's Flash), support for
| music subscriptions through Real's Rhapsody service, two megapixel camera and
| will likely incorporate four gigabytes of flash memory.

There's also openMoko, Android, and another Chinese firm that uses Linux to
make an iPhone clone.

More new pictures of LimePC (Linux-based)

Limepc: Little Linux, big possibilities

,----[ Quote ]
| The forthcoming Limepc and LimeOS represent the
| ever-shrinking “motherboard-on-a-chip” concept, allowing fully functional
| computers to run off of an integrated hardware board that’s smaller than an
| iPod Nano.

Shuttle's $199 Linux PC

This is great. Where are all the Windows appliances anyway? Linux is becoming
de facto! Looking ahead, what company would choose a 6+-year-old XP or a
broken Vista that nobody wants and nothing short of a 'supercomputer' will
actually tolerate?

Future Linux-based iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, one can only wonder how soon these Linux-based devices will hit the
| market. I am still hoping that these is one such device that will compete
| against the iPhone head-to-head but has an open architecture.

Another [Linux-based] iPhone Ripoff runs on cloned Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| It sure looks like an iPhone, but the real interesting thing about this
| Chinese rip-off is the OS it appears to be running. Check out the bottom
| right hand corner of the screen in the image above. Windows Vista?

China's iClone

,----[ Quote ]
| The little gadget was bootleg gold, a secret treasure I'd spent months
| tracking down. The miniOne looked just like Apple's iPhone, down to the slick
| no-button interface. But it was more. It ran popular mobile software that the
| iPhone wouldn't. It worked with nearly every worldwide cellphone carrier, not
| just AT&T, and not only in the U.S. It promised to cost half as much as the
| iPhone and be available to 10 times as many consumers.

iPhone matures the "free your phone" movement

,----[ Quote ]
| This is why FreeTheIPhone.org project is born, but even better, why OpenMoko
| project exists. While some are trying to free the locked down device, others
| are creating a free unlocked device from the start, and a whole software
| framework to go with it.

OpenMoko Neo1973 - an open source Linux based iPhone killer in the making ?