Re: [News] GNU/Linux PCs Cross New Barrier, Price Drops Below $200!

Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> did eloquently scribble:
> * Jerry McBride fired off this tart reply:

>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Shuttle to release sub-$200 Linux box
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/01/06/shuttle-release-sub-200-linux

>   When you don't have to pay the MS monopoly tax, you save a huge chunk
>   of money from your Bill of Materials (BoM). When you don't have to
>   support MeII, you can provide the same user experience with a lot
>   lower hardware spec. That saves more money.

>   In the end, that allowed Shuttle to come up with a $199 computer,
>   quite a deal. As far as we are aware, this is the first major
>   manufacturer box to break the $200 barrier. Well done guys.

> I remember my Atari ST, first 1Mb computer for under a kilo-buck.

I remember the zx81, the first computer for under £100.
:)
--
|                          |What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack|
|  spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx    |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|