Re: Gates on OLPC

____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 09 January 2008 09:19 : \____

http://www.iosn.net/asean-3/countries/thailand/news/thai-open-sourcers-meet-ict-minister

> So our own corrupt government is being used to deprive children in
> developing countries from benefiting from the OLPC programme.  No wonder
> the Microsoft/BBC Silverlight/iPlayer is what it is.
>
>> Billy is being a real gentleman about it too...
>>
>> Poor Kids' Laptop Cranks Up
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates earlier this year told the Microsoft
>>| Government Leaders Forum, "Geez, get a decent computer where you can
>>| actually read the text and you?re not sitting there cranking the thing
>>| while you're trying to type" (see Bill Gates Mocks $100 Laptop).
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.redherring.com/article.aspx?a=17302
>
> He's a pretty revolting character sometimes.

You should see that recent article (2 days ago) about his wife. Apparently he's
a b0rg just like the myth goes.

Also see:

Microsoft Memories

,----[ Quote ]
| At some point in your presentation billg will say "that's the dumbest
| fucking idea I've heard since I've been at Microsoft."  He looks like
| he means it.  However, since you knew he was going to say this, you
| can't really let it faze you.  Moreover, you can't afford to look
| fazed; remember: he's a bully.
`----

http://blog.tomevslin.com/2007/05/microsoft_memor.html

The Narcissistic CEO

,----[ Quote ]
| The desire to change the system is a defining element of narcissism.
| And while it can be inspirational to work for someone like that,
| interacting with a narcissist CEO can be torture. Don't expect praise.
| Get used to hearing the word "I." And be able to take lots of harshly
| worded criticism.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2006/08/28/business-basics-narcissist-ceos-cx_t...

Reminds me of some stories about Gates' personality. Among them (which I can
quickly find):

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxextremist.com/?p=12

,----[ Quote ]
| In my BillG review meeting, the whole reporting hierarchy was there,
| along with their cousins, sisters, and aunts, and a person who came
| along from my team whose whole job during the meeting was to keep an
| accurate count of how many times Bill said the F word. The lower the
| f***-count, the better.
|
| [...]
|
| Four," announced the f*** counter, and everyone said, "wow, that's the
| lowest I can remember. Bill is getting mellow in his old age." He was,
| you know, 36.
|
| Later I had it explained to me. "Bill doesn't really want to review
| your spec, he just wants to make sure you've got it under control. His
| standard M.O. is to ask harder and harder questions until you admit that
| you don't know, and then he can yell at you for being unprepared. Nobody
| was really sure what happens if you answer the hardest question he can
| come up with because it's never happened before."

| From: johnfi; Wed Mar 14 11:18:49 1990
| To: RichAab; RussW; SherryR; c-JanetC
| Subject: H-P New Wave
| Date: Wed Mar 14 10:56:42 1990
|
| A few issues ... Got a call from Gary Perez (our OEM HP Acct Mgr) this
| morning. They are telling HP that they wil NOT be part of this launch
| and that BillG has said "fxxk HP (all divisions) if they won't sign a
| Windows license."
`----

http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/5000/PX05099.pdf

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Black holes are where God is divided by zero"