[News] Too Many Installers Myth Debunked, Another Distro Launched (Diamond Linux)

  • Subject: [News] Too Many Installers Myth Debunked, Another Distro Launched (Diamond Linux)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 02:56:08 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Flipping the Linux switch: Package management 101

,----[ Quote ]
| Package management systems are often a source of confusion for new Linux
| users, but they're essential to keeping your system up to date and working
| the way you want. Fortunately, through the use of front-ends and installers,
| it's easy to build a system that's lean and fast, performs a specific task,
| or simply takes care of itself.
`----

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/01/08/flipping-the-linux-switch-package-management-101/

Diamond Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| I registered the domain names DiamondLinux.com and DiamondLinux.org. I think
| Diamond Linux is a great name — a prestigious name, packed full of all kinds
| of positive connotations.
`----

http://www.computerbob.com/guides/diamond_linux.php

Related:

Why Having 500+ Distros is a Good Thing

,----[ Quote ]
| Perhaps next time the author might think about what they're
| saying...because limiting the number of distros out there is
| absolutely NOT the way to go to accomplish anything other
| than limiting innovation.
`----

http://linux-blog.org/index.php?/archives/186-Why-Having-500+-Distros-is-a-Good-Thing.html

Windows: My eXPerience

,----[ Quote ]
| In this article I will not pretend to be stupid, mimicing those "my first
| week with Linux" pieces. If I write something about XP surprises me, it will
| be real, and if I seem stupid, that will be real, too.
|
| [...]
|
| I have some experience installing operating systems (mostly Linux) so I think
| I know what I talk about here:
|
| The XP installer is ok-to-suckish.
|
| [...]
|
| A restart because of the updates? Mmmmkey.
|
| Strange: The reboot is failing. Apparently Explorer.exe refuses to die. After
| a few "End it now"s it does end.
`----

http://lateral.netmanagers.com.ar/stories/BBS45.html

Ubuntu 1, Windows 0

,----[ Quote ]
| I installed Ubuntu on the Toshiba laptop. Ubuntu installed in 15 minutes - 49
| for Windows XP and 125 for Windows Vista. Ubuntu's desktop came right up. I
| opened the pre-installed Firefox browser and found I could browse the Web
| immediately. Ubuntu installed a network adaptor for the Toshiba laptop.
|
| I shake my head at this Windows foolishness!
`----

http://linux.sys-con.com/read/458943_p.htm

In evaluating operating systems, Williams overlooked pitfalls of Linux’s
competitors

,----[ Quote ]
| When I installed Ubuntu 7.10, a common distribution of Linux, last Wednesday,
| I had to download exactly one driver. If I had installed Windows XP or Vista,
| I would have found it necessary to download many more. If I had installed Mac
| OS X, and violated the license to do so as Barrett seems to have done, I
| might have gotten it to work as well with rather a lot of effort, but quite
| possibly not.
`----

http://www.yaledailynews.com/articles/view/22384

Installing A New Printer. Windows vs. Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows - 40 Minutes
|
| [...]
|
| Linux - 2 Minutes
|
| While I was waiting for the first round of software to install on Windows, I
| turned to my laptop running Ubuntu to see if I could get it setup to print as
| well. I launched the printing configuration tool. Clicked on "New Printer".
| Typed in the IP address I had assigned to the printer and selected the model
| number.
`----

http://www.thesourceshow.org/node/69

How To Install Gutsy Gibbon - A 21 Step Guide For Technical Support

,----[ Quote ]
| 1. “First, insert the Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10 CD into your cup holder.”
|
| 2. “Press the power button on your computer, and hold it until it shuts off.”
|
| 3. “Good. Now press the power button again.”
|
| 4. “We’re going to see some white on black text fly by, please don’t read it
|     to me.”
|
| 5. “Let me know when you’ve got a screen that says Ubuntu in brown and
|     orange.”
|
| 6. “Ok, press the ‘Enter’ key.”
`----

http://www.fsckin.com/2007/09/28/how-to-install-gutsy-gibbon-a-21-step-guide-for-technical-support/

Vista Ultimate vs. Ubuntu 7.04 - Which Install Is Easier?

,----[ Quote ]
| So less than 3 hours into this experiment, I have both Vista and Ubuntu
| installed and patched. Both systems are stable, more or less, but both
| systems have quirks. Neither system worked perfectly, but much to my surprise
| the Ubuntu system worked better, (once I got the keyboard working). More
| hardware worked without needing to download additional drivers. More over,
| there is moreover, the desktop that I do have is more functional -
| applications like GIMP, Open Office, and a slew of multi-media apps are far
| more useful than Wordpad, Paint and the slew of crap that Vista comes with.
`----

http://scitech.teambio.org/2007/08/14/vista-ultimate-vs-ubuntu-704-which-install-is-easier/

Linux is not only better than windows, it is also easier to install and
maintain

,----[ Quote ]
| This post inspired me to write this comparison, side by side, specially
| where it says, that windows users says that "Linux is hard to install", so I
| wanted to test it.
`----

http://www.go2linux.org/why-linux-is-easier-than-windows

Linux is Easier to Install than Windows!

,----[ Quote ]
| A brief, but honest description of why Linux is better than Windows!
`----

http://www.utopiatheory.com/index.php?id=11

[Installing Linux from Windows] Wubi Review

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://jon-reagan.blogspot.com/2007/07/wubi-review.html