Re: [News] Sony Claims Victory with Blu-Ray, 1.2 Million Holiday Sales of Linux-ready PS3s

____/ chrisv on Tuesday 08 January 2008 16:59 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>>____/ chrisv on Tuesday 08 January 2008 13:57 : \____

>>> I don't think so, Roy.  DVD's will always be playable.  Unless you
>>> have evidence to the contrary?
>>
>>VCRs and gramophones are getting harder to find and also become more
>>expensive. It's gradual phasing out of technology that won't last forever.
>>The solution is to make backward compatible technology (like ODF).
>
> Sure, eventually, the whole "optical disk" thing will be past it's
> "use by" date.  But, since HD video-disk players also play DVD disks,
> they themselves cannot be a force to "expire" DVD disks.

Yes, but one key issue here (among more) is DRM, which has been described by
many as the monster that will eat digital preservation and spit it out. You
see, with tapes you could still trivially digitise, then put on a hard drive,
pass over to SSD, and so on. Another issue (among more) are formats that are
designed to spur 'upgrades' (monetary considerations over integrity). Will be
be able to open your Word files 20 years from now? 100 years? Is there
sufficient documentation? Is it elegant? Will known bug be understood at that
time? There's a good video in YouTube about "Digital curation". It's a
one-hour long lecture, but it's worth finding and watching.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    while (sig==sig) sig=!sig;
 02:20:01 up 29 days, 15:08,  4 users,  load average: 0.93, 1.02, 1.24