Re: Gates on OLPC

* Rex Ballard fired off this tart reply:

> On Jan 8, 10:28 am, "ness...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
> <ness...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> <Quote>
>> Gates: OLPC hasn't done that well.
>
> I wonder if the fact that Microsoft and the Gates foundation keep
> having private conversations with the leaders who are about to adopt
> OLPCs may have something to do with it.  At the moment, OLPCs are on
> Back-order.  They can't keep up with the demand.
>
>> Emerging markets are growing for PCs, people are doing cheap PCs.
>
> This is true, in major cities, where electricity is more easily
> available, about 10 million PCs recycled from US computers, shipped to
> emerging markets, configured with Linux (for the language of that
> country, and English), and often sold for under $100 each.
>
> The key element of the OLPC is that it needs less power, runs good
> educational software, and can be manufactured for less than $100 per
> PC.

   My job is simply done. When I started in January 2005, many people
   thought was a joke, including Craig Barrett and Bill Gates. I took it
   from that stage -- just an idea of a $100 laptop -- through
   invention, design and partnering and to delivery. The laptop is in
   high volume mass production, it's the lowest cost laptop ever made,
   the lowest power laptop ever made, it's the greenest laptop ever
   made, it's the only sunlight-readable laptop on the market, it's more
   rugged than a Toughbook, it's in the Museum of Modern Art for it's
   look -- and countries are buying them en masse. For example, 260,000
   are going to children in one-room classrooms off-the-grid in rural
   Peru. The XO laptop requires less infrastructure: it's about 15 times
   lower in power consumption than Energy Star mandates, and 15 times
   lower than any other laptop on the market. The Mesh networking
   extends the reach of a single access point as the wifi signals can
   hop from laptop to laptop to reach the children living the farthest
   from the school.

Say, maybe Microsoft and Intel can get Vista to run on one of those
things.

--
The increasing percentage of Vista isn't growth -- it's molting.