[News] Open Source Search Engines Launched Today (Wikia)

  • Subject: [News] Open Source Search Engines Launched Today (Wikia)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 23:08:42 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Wikia search engine to go live on Monday

,----[ Quote ]
| Search Wikia, the widely awaited search engine from Wikipedia founder Jimmy
| Wales, is slated to make its official debut on Monday, with the bet that an
| open-source, community-driven effort can disrupt and reshape this
| Google-dominated market.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/AppDev/1634/search-wikia-goes-live-080107/

Related:

Wikia Search Project to Launch Jan. 7, Wales says

,----[ Quote ]
| Wales has started to invite a handful of people to test an early version of
| the search platform, which will be publicly launched on Jan. 7, he wrote in
| anemailto the Wikia mailing list Monday.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/24/AR2007122401567.html

Wikipedia like search engine to use Apache Lucene - Nutch

,----[ Quote ]
| The search engine, code-named Wikiasari, would combine open source
| technology and human intervention to deliver more relevant results
| than the algorithm-based systems used today, Wales said Tuesday.
| "Human intelligence is still the best thing we have, so let's let
| humans do what they do best, and computers do what they do best."
|
| Wales says that the reason for Wikiasari is that search as we know
| it is broken: "It is broken for the same reason that proprietary
| software is always broken: lack of freedom, lack of community,
| lack of accountability, lack of transparency."
`----

http://www.indicthreads.com/news/1062/wikipedia_search_engine_apache_lucene_nutch.html

Wikipedia founder hunts for gold

,----[ Quote ]