[News] RPM 5.0.0 is Released; NVClock 0.8 Reaches Beta3

  • Subject: [News] RPM 5.0.0 is Released; NVClock 0.8 Reaches Beta3
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 06:30:42 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
RPM Press Release

,----[ Quote ]
| After seven months of comprehensive
| development, the popular Unix software packaging tool RPM Package
| Manager (RPM) was released as stable version 5.0.0. The relaunch of the
| RPM project in spring 2007 and today's following availability of RPM 5
| marks a major milestone for the previously rather Linux-centric RPM. RPM
| now finally evolved into a fully cross-platform and reusable software
| packaging tool.
`----

http://rpm5.org/pressrelease.php

NVClock 0.8 (Beta3) Released

,----[ Quote ]
| Changes:
|
|     * Geforce8 support
|     * Rewritten lowlevel Geforce6/7 overclocking backend [experimental]
|     * Added bios PLL table parsing for Geforce6/7/8 cards
|     * Fanspeed adjustments for 8800 cards equipped with ADT7473 chips
|     * Support for additional Geforce7 AGP cards
|     * Add support for more NV-CONTROL OpenGL settings in GTK
|     * Geforce6 fake Quadro bugfixes
|     * Geforce6 pipeline modding bugfixes
|     * Tons of bugfixes
`----

http://www.linuxhardware.org/article.php?story=20080105080430953

Related:

I dunno what people mean when they talk about RPM hell

,----[ Quote ]
| When people talk about RPM dependency hell, I really have no idea what
| they’re talking about. Here’s a factual look into RPM that should set the
| record straight:
|
| Warning ahead: please note that I’m not gonna discuss Debian vs. Red Hat, but
| dpkg vs. RPM.
|
| RPM, combined with a good package manager such as Smart, is vastly superior
| to the competition...
`----

http://rudd-o.com/archives/2007/11/14/i-dunno-what-people-say-when-they-talk-about-rpm-hell/

The RPM Fusion Project

,----[ Quote ]
| We aim to provide support for all 'current' versions of Fedora including
| devel,
| for i386, ppc, ppc64 and x86_64.
|
| We hope to attract new Fedora packagers and many other 3rd party
| repositories.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/249179/

First rpm.org-RPM version released

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently the first version of rpm.org’s RPM tool was released. While it is
| only a minor version (4.4.2.1) this release is a milestones because it is a
| coordinated release between the participating distributions.
`----

http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/07/24/first-rpmorg-rpm-version-released/

RPM Package Manager

,----[ Quote ]
| Welcome to the home of the official RPM Package Manager (RPM) code base!
`----

http://rpm5.org/

Install .rpm Files in Debian and Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Some time you might find some applications are having only .rpm files but
| you want a .deb package for your debian,Ubuntu and other debian derived
| ditributions.If you can?t find .deb debian package in any of the
| debian,ubuntu repositories or elsewhere, you can use the alien
| package converter  to install the .rpm file.
|
| Alien is a program that converts between the rpm, dpkg, stampede slp,
| and slackware tgz file formats. If you want to use a package from
| another distribution than the one you have installed on your system, you
| can use alien to convert it to your preferred package format and install
| it.
`----

http://www.debianadmin.com/install-rpm-files-in-debian-and-ubuntu.html

Fedora Project to Help Revitalize RPM

,----[ Quote ]
| The Fedora Project has announced plans to revitalize RPM, the package
| manager used by many Linux distros.
`----

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/12/15/040258&from=rss

The future of RPM

,----[ Quote ]
| We wanted to make sure those parties agreed that this was the right
| thing to do for their respective communities. We touched base with
| some of these people at the recent LSB conference, and the
| overwhelming community opinion there was in favor of what we are
| outlining here.
`----

http://www.linuxlookup.com/2006/dec/14/the_future_of_rpm

Feature plans for Fedora 9

,----[ Quote ]
| Fedora 8 is out now and plans for Fedora 9 are made. The feature list is
| already in place and contains several entries.
`----

http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/11/10/feature-plans-for-fedora-9/

RPM Fusion for Fedora

,----[ Quote ]