[News] ASUS Role in Making Linux the Default O/S

  • Subject: [News] ASUS Role in Making Linux the Default O/S
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 03:18:27 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Is 2008 the Breakthrough Year for Linux on the Desktop?

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the Holidays I played with my Asus Eee PC 8G (straight from Taiwan) and
| it's Linux desktop operating system. It is not perfect, but it works
| surprisingly well and I can do everything with it that I do on my Windows PC,
| which should be pretty scary for Microsoft at this point in time.
`----

http://www.i4u.com/article13863.html

Jerry posted this one earlier and it's relevant here:

The Most Hated Company In the PC Industry

,----[ Quote ]
| Who in the hell is Asustek, and why does Microsoft hate them more than any
| other company in the industry? Why does Apple, Dell and Palm Computing hate
| them?
|
| [...]
|
| The reason Microsoft hates Asustek couldn't be more obvious. The Eee PC runs
| Linux (Xandros running KDE) and uses an appealing and innovative tabbed-based
| user interface developed by Asustek. The device also comes with OpenOffice, a
| Microsoft Office replacement, and Firefox. The entire system -- hardware, OS,
| office suite and applications -- costs $30 less than Amazon.com's discounted
| price for Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate alone. The Asus Eee PC is
| demonstrating to the world that its success depends on aggressively
| *avoiding* any Microsoft product.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/columns/executive_tech/article.php/3719776

There's also SplashTop from ASUS. It's all good news to Linux. See below.
Windows isn't even considered.

Related:

ASUS Expands SplashTop Mobo Selection

,----[ Quote ]
| We've been enthralled by SplashTop, an embedded instant-on Linux desktop
| environment, since we had first looked at this technology on the ASUS P5E3
| Deluxe motherboard. DeviceVM's SplashTop is so interesting that it had even
| earned the title of being one of the greatest Linux innovations of 2007.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjI3MA

SplashTop Source Code Released

,----[ Quote ]
| These patches are for Bootsplash,
| DVM, getting the CMOS time, adjusting the max loop, the sk98lin networking
| driver, and SquashFS. Presently, the Linux kernel that SplashTop uses is
| Linux 2.6.20.11.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=915&num=1

ASUS add WiFi-N, quick-boot Linux to P5E3 motherboard

,----[ Quote ]
| hat last part is perhaps the most interesting; ASUS are calling it Express
| Gate, but it’s basically a fast-boot alternative that, in just five seconds,
| bypasses Windows and gives you a web-browser running in a custom Linux OS.
`----

http://www.slashgear.com/asus-add-wifi-n-quick-boot-linux-to-p5e3-motherboard-267643.php

2007's most important IT lesson is spelled with an Eee

,----[ Qote ]
| The Eee shows too just how out of date the 'is Linux ready for the desktop?'
| argument is. Yes it is. Anyone can pick up an Eee with its standard Linux
| distro - or with a number of freely available alternatives - and just use it.
| That alone revitalises the 'is this paid-for operating system value for
| money?' question.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10006830o-2000331777b,00.htm?new_comment

Asustek ups Eee PC sales f'cast by two-thirds

,----[ Quote ]
| Asustek had said that it hoped to become the world's fifth-largest laptop PC
| vendor by 2010.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSTP4901620071128

Asus Eee PC as 'hard to get your hands on as a Wii'

,----[ Quote ]
| Asus' elfin Eee PC is coming to Japan and it's going to get 16GB of
| solid-state storage, it has been claimed. Meanwhile, in the UK availability
| has reached Wii-like limits, according to insiders.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/12/18/eee_pc_wii_japan/

Asus Eee PC doing well

,----[ Quote ]
| It appears that this holiday season the gPC is not the only mainstream Linux
| PC to get a lot of attention. The Asus Eee PC, a $400 laptop that runs a
| basic version of Linux, is sold out at Amazon and Best Buy, where it has
| received a 4.5/5 user rating at both places.
`----

http://www.linuxloop.com/news/2007/11/24/asus-eee-pc-doing-well/

The Asus Eee Laptop Series Selling Off the Shelves World Wide

,----[ Quote ]
| The sturdy and light weight Asus Eee has captured the hearts and minds of US
| consumers, students and educators. The Eee series has all the features of its
| competitors, but its affordable price is turning heads. The Eee units are
| literally selling off the shelves world-wide.
|
| [...]
|
| The popular Eee is not without its critics. IT Wire reports that Asus Eee may
| have misrepresented the Linux loaded capabilities. According to IT Wire, some
| Linux advocates say the Eee uses Xandros a Debian-based distribution that
| charges a license fee and has an agreement with Microsoft similar to the one
| signed by Novell.
`----

http://www.physorg.com/news115288648.html

Microsoft's Big Problem in a Small Box

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista is a big operating system that demands monster graphics and dual-core
| processors. But what if the market pines for a whole lot less?
|
| [...]
|
| The mass move to mobile computing is a destabilizing force and harbinger of
| change. Microsoft's position would be better if Vista didn't demand so much
| when the market wants so little.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/desktop_mobile/microsofts_big_problem_in_a_small_box.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
http://tinyurl.com/2sg6xy

Linux is about to take over the low end of PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Opinion -- Sometimes, several unrelated changes come to a head at the same
| time, with a result no one could have predicted. The PC market is at such a
| tipping point right now and the result will be millions of Linux-powered PCs
| in users' hands.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft will fight this trend tooth and nail. It will cut prices to the
| point where it'll be bleeding ink on some of its product lines. And Windows
| XP is going to stick around much longer than Microsoft ever wanted it to.
| Still, it won't be enough. By attacking from the bottom, where Microsoft can
| no longer successfully compete, Linux will finally cut itself a large slice
| of the desktop market pie.

First Impressions of the Eee PC Laptop from a Public Library Point of View

,----[ Quote ]
| This laptop changes the rules of the game. It brings portable computing power
| within the financial reach of millions more people. This laptop brings hope
| and expands the world of possibilities.
`----

http://blogs.pcworld.com/communityvoices/archives/2007/12/first_impressio.html

Review: Asus Eee laptop PC