[News] From the Interview with Red Hat's CEO...

  • Subject: [News] From the Interview with Red Hat's CEO...
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 09:24:19 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Q&A: Red Hat CEO believes Delta past isn't a liability

,----[ Quote ]
| In an interview Friday, the 40-year-old said he believes his experience
| running much of a 50,000-person company and focusing on top priorities will
| serve the Linux seller well as it tries to increase revenue.
|
| Whitehurst also has at least a touch of the open-source zeal of his
| predecessor, Matthew Szulik, who left the CEO job January 1 because of family
| medical difficulties but who remains chairman of the Raleigh, N.C.-based
| company. Whitehurst has been a Linux user since the Slackware days of the
| mid-1990s, and he's already got the open-source sales pitch down pat.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-9840375-39.html?tag=newsmap

Related:

New Red Hat CEO says committed to open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat Inc's new chief executive said on Friday that the company will
| continue to pursue a business model under which it makes its software
| available at no cost and makes money selling services to businesses.
| "We are a mission-based company. Democratizing information is a social good,"
| Chief Executive James Whitehurst said in an interview with Reuters. "We will
| be open source. We will be the leader in open source."
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/feedarticle?id=7198606

On the record with Jim Whitehurst, Red Hat's new CEO: 'I must have a mission'

,----[ Quote ]
| Asay: Tell me a little bit about yourself. What are the last three bands you
| listened to on your iPod?
| Whitehurst: I don't have an iPod (or a Zune). It won't play Ogg Vorbis files.
| Asay: You're serious?!
| Whitehurst: Absolutely.
| Asay: Are you a geek or something?
| Whitehurst: I have been a geek from day one.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9839996-16.html

Of the people, by the people, for the people...

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday afternoon, Red Hat, Inc. announced that James Whitehurst would be
| taking over for Matthew Szulik as chief executive. This is important open
| source news because Red Hat is by far the largest company practicing open
| source as its primary business. (Disclaimer: I am a Red Hat executive.)
|
| Already the press has characterized Jim as "an airline guy", and I'd like to
| make a point that these other reporters refuse to acknowledge: Jim was an
| open source guy before he was an airline guy.
|
| I met Jim this morning (he doesn't start until January 2008), and I asked him
| point blank: "were you really running Fedora Core 6 when you were first
| contacted about the CEO position?"
|
| Jim shot back with a list of all the different releases he's running at home,
| and started giving me an inventory of all the versions of Red Hat Linux he
| ran before the Fedora project came into existence.
`----

http://opensource.org/node/238

Red Hat Shares Jump 10 Percent

,----[ Quote ]
| Shares of Red Hat Inc. jumped 10 percent Friday, one day after the open
| source software distributor announced a rise in third-quarter earnings and
| the appointment of a new chief executive.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/071221/red_hat_shares.html?.v=1

New Red Hat CEO checks open source claims

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/12/21/red_hat_new_ceo/