Re: Faster Chips Are Leaving Programmers in Their Dust

> ____/ Linonut on Thursday 03 January 2008 21:11 : \____
>
>> * Mark Kent fired off this tart reply:
>>
>>> Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> I wouldn't work at Microsoft for anything.  I do not work for criminal
>>> organisations of any kind.
>
> Some people try hard to convince themselves that the Kool-Aid is good and they
> swallow the poison along with the cash. Bullet biting... there's always some
> crook-to-be who is willing to join some dark forces somewhere. Just look at
> Germany circa 1935. They were "only following orders".

I was once told that "...es kam von oben..." (it came from above) had
been one of the most commonly used defences in the Nurnberg trials.
I don't know if it's true, but it's quite likely, and since then, there
has been a lot of research from about the 1950s on, mainly from the US
but some elsewhere, which has shown that authority and group pressure can
make quite ordinary people do the most unpleasant things to others.  It is
quite sickening to see that in spite of the US scientific establishment
having lead this work, the US government and military has either ignored
it, or worse, relied on it, in order to promote the active torture of
prisoners in Guantanamo bay, Iraq and elsewhere.

Interestingly, a little bible quote:  "Und es kam eine Stimme oben von
dem Himmelsgewölbe her", which I'd translate as something like "And a
voice came from the vaults of heaven above".  Peter K can probably do
something much better!

>> If I thought I could stand it and thought some *good* would come of it,
>> I would work there.
>>
>> However, like many other idealists, I would no doubt leave there after a
>> short time.

You cannot reform the mafia from inside.