[News] New Version of Googlised GNU/Linux (Rocket gOS 2.0) Coming Shortly

  • Subject: [News] New Version of Googlised GNU/Linux (Rocket gOS 2.0) Coming Shortly
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 03:37:37 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
gOS 2.0 "Rocket" To Blast Off Next Week

,----[ Quote ]
| We've just been notified that gOS 2.0 will be released next week at the 2008
| Consumer Electronic Show. This Linux distribution started making news two
| months ago as the conceptual Google Operating System and shipping on a
| sub-$200 (USD) Everex PC. This distribution is very easy to use and features
| integration with popular Web 2.0 services such as YouTube, Google Calendar,
| and Google Maps. This next gOS release, codenamed "Rocket", adds a few
| features and more Google love. Accompanying this release will also be a gOS
| Software Developer Kit.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=959&num=1

Rocket gOS 2.0, the latest Ubuntu-Google marriage, days away

There's No System Like Linux for the Holidays

,----[ Quote ]
| Holiday shopping season is about to hit full swing, and personal computers
| already rank high on many people's wish lists. If you're going to give the
| gift of a new PC, should you consider giving one with Linux? If the receiver
| is a tech-savvy individual, it may be the perfect gift, and the growing
| availability of preloaded machines means setup headaches are easily avoided.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Theres-No-System-Like-Linux-for-the-Holidays-60397.html

Wal-Mart's $199 Linux PC Back In Stock

,----[ Quote ]
| The gPC is one of the first Linux-based desktop machines to be offered for
| sale by a major retailer.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=204200374

gPC - $199 C7 powered PC at Wal-Mart running gOS

,----[ Quote ]
| Now gOS the OS powering the gPC is a unique OS. While I said it is a
| customized version of Ubuntu, the word 'customized' is an understatement. gOS
| highlights and encourages users to use web applications instead of the
| traditional software for their day to day computing tasks.
`----

http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2007/11/gpc-199-c7-powered-pc-at-wal-mart.html

gOS Unboxed: Should Microsoft Worry?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's rivalry with Google heated up considerably this past year when
| rumors surfaced that Google might release its own operating system to compete
| with Windows. Has Google finally jumped into the fray with its own OS?

A short look at gOS

,----[ Quote ]
| So after downloading the gOS Live ISO onto my Debian Etch system I started
| Innotek’s VirtualBox, bound the freshly downloaded ISO as a CD-ROM, made a
| 4GB virtual hard disk image for installing it, gave that virtual computer
| 256MB of RAM, and started...
`----

http://blog.thedebianuser.org/?p=255

Gosh, gOS is good

,----[ Quote ]
| I really liked gOS. It's a cute little system with lots of functionality and
| great looks. It works well and is fast and stable on my laptop. It should
| work on any computer that any other Linux supports. Enlightenment is an
| impressive desktop environment, and the iBar is a low-overhead way to blend
| cool effects with needed functionality. I think users will like it.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/121151

ReviewLinux.Com: gOS is worth looking into....

,----[ Quote ]
| Everybody is going Green. I take a quick look at the new kid on the block.
| gOS 1.0.1 was released earlier this month and I take a short screenshot tour
| of this "Green" Linux OS. Check out the short flash video too.
`----

http://www.reviewlinux.com/?m=show&id=8247

gOS-live 1.0 386

,----[ Quote ]