Re: [News] OLPC Success Stories, Trailblazing?

____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 03 January 2008 19:11 : \____

http://www.thetechandcents.com/2008/01/olpg-or-one-laptop-per-grown-up.html

>>> There is an enormous "suppressed" market here, just waiting for
>>> affordable technology.
>>
>> There's also an industry that dreads the idea of cheap computers where
>> hardware and softare have minimal requirement. Just watch how Intel and
>> Microsoft 'raped' OLPC like manmen and how they grouped together like a pack
                               ^^^
                               mad

>> of hyenas.
>>

> They'll keep trying, but it's like trying to hold back the tide.  Funny
> thing is that if Intel can keep up production and lower their chip
> costs, perhaps producing a nice new generation of ultra-low-power
> processors they can turn out in really big numbers, they could benefit
> very well indeed from this particular revolution.  The losers will be
> Microsoft.

Yes, software costs are unwanted because hardware is affordable. Intel has got
some who are passionate about free software and Linux, but it has some really
strong poison inside and people so greedy that they wouldn't mind destroying
the lives of children for cash. I don't want to generalise (heck, my
brother-in-law works at Intel), but Intel as a whole deserves some serious
toppling for the abuse that keeps it floating and growing. Successful crime is
not success.

Charity: compensating for a broken system rather than actually fixing it
 03:20:04 up 24 days, 16:08,  4 users,  load average: 0.88, 0.75, 1.14