Re: Microsoft Still Throws Dirt at GNU/Linux with Silverlight, Popfly

* Rex Ballard fired off this tart reply:

> Remember when Seimans was going to implement DCOM for UNIX?  They
> implemented enough of a subset to attempt to displace CORBA servers,
> and when they tried to start implementing client software, Microsoft
> revoked their license and took control of the UNIX version, where it
> died a quick and painful death.

   http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/1997/mar97/unixpr.mspx

   ActiveX Core Technologies Moving to Leading UNIX Platforms
   Distributed COM Enables Integration for Next-Generation Enterprise
   Systems

   BOSTON, March 5, 1997 -- At the Object World East industry
   conference this week, Microsoft Corp. and Software AG announced that
   Software AG's implementation of the Microsoft®  ActiveX ™
   distributed component software architecture is now available in beta
   release for the Sun Solaris platform. Software AG said it plans to
   begin beta testing with versions for the Digital UNIX and Linux
   platforms later this month. All three versions are scheduled to be
   released for general use in April.

Here's another Microsoft fad that went nowhere (or morphed into
something else):

   http://csdl2.computer.org/persagen/DLAbsToc.jsp?resourcePath=/dl/mags/ic/&toc=comp/mags/ic/1998/02/w2toc.xml&DOI=10.1109/4236.670682

   March/April 1998 (Vol. 2, No. 2)    pp. 41-45
   Distributed Application Development for Three-Tier Architectures:
   Microsoft on Windows DNA

> When WebSphere
> was ported to Linux and was able to use forked processes to get better
> and more reliable performance, Microsoft introduced MTS.
>
> Of course, to use all of these new features you had to rewrite all of
> the software you had originally written for NT 4.0, which meant you
> were going to have to take a loss on the money you had spent on the NT
> 4.0 version.
>
> And just about the time you thought it was safe to go into the water,
> out came COM+, which meant you had to rewrite everything again.
>
> And just about the time you released your COM+ applications, Microsoft
> announced .NET, which meant you had to invest another boatload of cash
> into developing or replacing your existing software.
>
> And each time Microsoft introduces these wonderful new "Enhancements",
> they came with a nice big fat hefty price tag.  License costs went up,
> MSDN subscription prices went up, support contract prices went up, and
> yet, after you paid all that extra money, you ended up having to pay
> subscription renewal fees for almost 5 years before you got the Vista
> operating systems, and almost 5 years waiting for the Upgrade to
> Windows 2003 server (Windows 2008 is due out "real soon now").
>
> Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.

Except they get fooled a baker's dozen of times.

Churn is an MS MO.

--
This sig has expired.  Please reactivate your sig by paying $0.25
and entering the 30-character activation key that will be emailed to