[News] Free Software a Great Tool for Entrepreneurship

  • Subject: [News] Free Software a Great Tool for Entrepreneurship
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 16:12:56 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Who's Got the Right Idea? Dave Sifry Has

,----[ Quote ]
| The secret, then, of Dave's amazing entrepreneurial fecundity – aside from
| his own DNA - is the rich array of open source tools that he has at his
| disposal (and which he is sufficiently skilled to deploy effectively). Using
| them, he is able time and again to turn an idea into reality very quickly,
| and then release it for comments and fine-tuning by real users. And Sifry's
| not alone: practically all of the well-known Web 2.0 companies – Digg,
| Flickr, even Google – began in the same way, with prototypes being lashed
| together using freely-available open source code and then launched without
| long periods of internal testing.
|
| There's an important lesson here for every Net entrepreneur or business with
| an idea: don't just sit there, grab some open source apps and start coding.
| And if you fail, so what? Just come up with something better next time.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=311&blogid=14

Related:

Dreamhost Driven by Linux-Enhanced Economics

,----[ Quote ]
| To illustrate the importance of Linux and FOSS in creating opportunities for
| poor but ambitious geeks, I looked for a suitable Linux-based business to
| profile, and chose Dreamhost.
`----

http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/netsysm/article.php/3702756

Start-up turns Linux servers into virtual storage

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.infostor.com/display_article/311329/23/ARTCL/none/none/1/Start-up-turns-Linux-servers-into-virtual-storage/