Re: [News] Students Who Grow up on Linux Will Demand It at Work

> Why 2008 will be a bad year for Microsoft?s Ed Tech market share
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Am I blowing Microsoft?s struggles in Ed Tech out of proportion? It strikes
>| me that, while Microsoft makes its money at the enterprise level, students
>| who use Linux-based machines at school will be far more comfortable using
>| them (and asking for them) when they enter the workforce.
> `----
>
> http://education.zdnet.com/?p=1457
>
> "The danger is that Microsoft is using strategic monopolistic pricing in the
> education market, with the government?s assistance, to turn our state
> university  systems into private workforce training programs for Microsoft."
>
>                                     --Nathan Newman

Our own schools have "ict" lessons which are based entirely on the use
of Microsoft Office;  this is one of the most short-sighted education
policies I've ever seen in action.  How many people will use the same
technology in the workplace as they use in Primary school say?  It's
positively absurd to imagine that technology will not move on in ten
years.