[News] Linux Nostalgia (0.01 Revived) and Linux Localisation

  • Subject: [News] Linux Nostalgia (0.01 Revived) and Linux Localisation
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 13:17:20 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Dusting Off the 0.01 Kernel

,----[ Quote ]
| Abdel Benamrouche announced that he has updated the original 0.01 Linux
| kernel to compile with GCC-4.x, allowing it to run on emulators such as QEMU
| and Bochs. After applying his series of small patches, Abdel explains that
| the 0.01 kernel can be built on a system running the 2.6 Linux kernel. He
| added that he's successfully ported bash-3.2, portions of coreutils-6.9,
| dietlibc-0.31 (instead of glibc), bin86-0.16.17, make-3.81, ncurses-2.0.7,
| and vim-7.1 all to run on his modified 0.01 kernel.
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Dusting_Off_the_0.01_Kernel

The importance of delivering localized Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, critics apart what can/should we do? If you agree with my point of view
| contact your distro (many of them have localized communities) and make them
| read this post, we just need to talk about the problem and we’ll find how to
| solve it. Having a fully localized Linux delivering infrastructure can only
| bring more users to our beloved OS.
`----

http://fabrizioballiano.wordpress.com/2007/12/31/the-importance-of-delivering-localized-linux/

There's a lot of improvement in that area, as well as special localised
derivatives (examples below).

Related:

Open Source Computing in Indian languages

,----[ Quote ]
| So far Indian languages have received a rather step-motherly treatment
| in computing - a field created largely for the 26 alphabets of the
| Roman script rather than more complex Asian scripts.
|
| "Installing an additional language like Hindi now needs a mere 15
| minutes (of internet connectivity) with a 256 kbps broadband
| connection," says Srivastava.
`----

http://www.tech2.com/india/news/general/open-source-computing-in-indian-languages/4810/0

Related:

BOSS Linux makes new users feel at home

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://distrocenter.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/03/12/1631206&from=rss

Open Source Computing in Indian languages

,----[ Quote ]
| So far Indian languages have received a rather step-motherly treatment
| in computing - a field created largely for the 26 alphabets of the
| Roman script rather than more complex Asian scripts.
|
| "Installing an additional language like Hindi now needs a mere 15
| minutes (of internet connectivity) with a 256 kbps broadband
| connection," says Srivastava.
`----

http://www.tech2.com/india/news/general/open-source-computing-in-indian-languages/4810/0

BharateeyaOO.o: Enabling OpenOffice.org for India

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.openoffice.org/editorial/bharateeyaooo.html