Re: [News] Linux Dominates in Xmas Gifts, Volunteers Reach Out

____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 03 January 2008 07:59 : \____

>> ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 01 January 2008 15:06 : \____
>>
>>> Buffering can't make up for a connection which is too slow, though - but
>>> as you say, the flash video format works well under even heavy
>>> congestion.
>>
>> You can watch it in lumps though (pause instead of jitter). You can't do
>> that with a complete download.
>>

> True, but with normal connectionless packet networks, you have no idea
> how long the next "lump" will take to come down, so it's not a
> particularly satisfactory way of doing things.
>
> You can see this behaviour quite often on eg., Youtube, when sometimes
> videos will play fine, but at other times, they get choppy, and randomly
> pause and resume.  This is an inevitable consequence of connectionless
> packet networks.  It can be solved, of course, by setting up
> connections, but so long as we have huge swathes of router manufacturers
> with products to push, this issue is not going to be "accepted".

I'm not sure how we got this far off topic, but it's worth emphasising here
that streaming is in a sense a superset of a so-called 'download services'.
There are even graphical UIs for tools that download videos from YouTube, so
the BBC shouldn't have gone with its 'alternate' solution _in the first
place_, It's more versatile and it's cross platform.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Turn up the jukebox and tell me a lie"
 09:00:02 up 23 days, 21:48,  4 users,  load average: 0.37, 0.78, 1.11