Re: [News] [Rival] Signs of Weakness in Vista: Microsoft Does Clearance Sale

  • Subject: Re: [News] [Rival] Signs of Weakness in Vista: Microsoft Does Clearance Sale
  • From: Sinister Midget <fardblossom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 10:45:37 -0600
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On 2008-01-01, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
> Microsoft offers a Vista two-for deal
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Under terms of â??The Ultimate Offer,â?? testers can go to any retail or online
>| store and buy a copy of Vista Ultimate (full or upgrade version) for full
>| price and Microsoft will match it with a second complimentary Vista Ultimate
>| Upgrade product key.
> `----
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1071
>
> Two licences, not two products. They try to make software seem like a loaf of
> bread.

This is for other reasons than just to treat it like a commodity:

1. They get to count it as 2 copies sold. Not just shipped, /sold/.
That's so they have something they can use for a semi-answer to
questions about the real count being in-use. It's still dishonest, but
it's harder to pin down. This is all part of their famed strategy of
keeping the wool over the investors' eyes so confidence remains higher
than it really should be.

2. This isn't a real reason for doing it, but it's a motivation to the
buyer (any buyer dumb enough to fall for it): the user can go twice as
long before having to call the mothership and say "Mother, may I?" when
they need to keep reinstalling, or when they have to activate several
times just for adding or changing minor hardware pieces.

--
Divorce - Transition from a duet to a duel.