[News] (Windows) Desktops Are Cannibalised by (Linux) Devices?

  • Subject: [News] (Windows) Desktops Are Cannibalised by (Linux) Devices?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 16:31:58 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Chip Sales Weak in November

,----[ Quote ]
| Worldwide chip sales experienced the weakest growth for the month of November
| in at least five years, an industry group said Monday.
`----

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/newsanalysis/techsoftware/10396503.html?cm_ven=YAHOO&amp;cm_cat=FREE&amp;cm_ite=NA
http://tinyurl.com/3yovoa

Oh noes! [sic] But, but, but... Microsoft said Vista would sell (and force
people to buy new PCs).

Oh, wait. Might we be witnessing the slow demise of the desktop? Also in the

Mobile Gadgets Fuel Chip Sales

,----[ Quote ]
| "In the old days, mobility was a notebook. Now mobility really is a phone,"
| says Roger Kay, president of the technology research firm Endpoint
| Technologies.
`----

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/newsanalysis/technology-stories/10395121.html?cm_ven=YAHOO&amp;cm_cat=FREE&amp;cm_ite=NA
http://tinyurl.com/2tbulw

Microsoft ought to hurry up. Linux is becoming the de facto platform for these
devices

Related:

PCs step aside… smarter mobiles are coming

,----[ Quote ]
| Citing the examples of the company’s single core solutions for smart phones,
| consumer electronics and automotive entertainment and ARM Mali graphics
| processors, and its collaboration for Linux mobile computing, Mr Keith said
| mobile phone makers are taking to a platform approach which offers
| flexibility to add new features.
`----

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2007/11/05/stories/2007110550450200.htm

Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

,----[ Quote ]
| "We were very aware that the growth in mobile for Linux was huge, but we
| didn't know it was so astronomic," Amanda McPherson, marketing director for
| the Linux Foundation, told LinuxInsider. "These are very encouraging
| numbers." Why Linux has drawn significant support from the community of
| handset manufacturers can be explained on several fronts, McPherson said.

PCs being pushed aside in Japan

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071104/ap_on_hi_te/bye_bye_pcs

Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

,----[ Quote ]
| "We were very aware that the growth in mobile for Linux was huge, but we
| didn't know it was so astronomic," Amanda McPherson, marketing director for
| the Linux Foundation, told LinuxInsider. "These are very encouraging
| numbers." Why Linux has drawn significant support from the community of
| handset manufacturers can be explained on several fronts, McPherson said.

Funambol CEO Fabrizio Capobianco: Linux Is Mobile's Future

,----[ Quote ]
| LinuxInsider met with Capobianco to discuss his view on the role of open
| source in creating Mobile 2.0 as a voice and data carrier parallel to the
| Internet. The meeting occurred in the wake of Google's announcement earlier
| this month that it was negotiating with wireless carriers, handset makers,
| software developers and hardware providers to use an open source mobile
| platform, Android.
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/60340.html

After the Desktop -- What?

,----[ Quote ]
| I would suggest that the open source community should stop obsessing
| with the battle for the desktop, and start focusing on the battle for
| the platform that will replace it. As I have said before, the day
| will soon come when the notion of having to go to a particular
| machine on a particular room every time you need access to
| information or computer power will be as obsolete as the notion
| of having to go to the hand pump over the well in the front
| yard every time you need water.
`----

http://trevors-trinkets.blogspot.com/2007/02/after-desktop-what.html

Linux is about to take over the low end of PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Opinion -- Sometimes, several unrelated changes come to a head at the same
| time, with a result no one could have predicted. The PC market is at such a
| tipping point right now and the result will be millions of Linux-powered PCs
| in users' hands.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft will fight this trend tooth and nail. It will cut prices to the
| point where it'll be bleeding ink on some of its product lines. And Windows
| XP is going to stick around much longer than Microsoft ever wanted it to.
| Still, it won't be enough. By attacking from the bottom, where Microsoft can
| no longer successfully compete, Linux will finally cut itself a large slice
| of the desktop market pie.

Where does Linux go from here?

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux and free software are here to stay. No single commercial firm will ever
| control the Linux ecosystem like Microsoft has the rest of the software
| industry. Though both may prosper, the bazaar will outlive the boardrooms,
| and Linux popularity will continue to grow on servers, desktops, appliances,
| and embedded devices.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/119865s

This time for sure on mobile Linux

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1773

Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

,----[ Quote ]
| "We were very aware that the growth in mobile for Linux was huge, but we
| didn't know it was so astronomic," Amanda McPherson, marketing director for
| the Linux Foundation, told LinuxInsider. "These are very encouraging
| numbers." Why Linux has drawn significant support from the community of
| handset manufacturers can be explained on several fronts, McPherson said.

Google's mobile move: awe-inspiring and terrifying

,----[ Quote ]
| It is also another awe-inspiring -- or terrifying, depending on one's
| perspective -- display of the engineering and business resources Google can
| unleash and of the power it has to influence, disrupt and rearrange markets.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20071106/tc_infoworld/93133

Google spending hundreds of millions on mobile

,----[ Quote ]
| Anian, a Reuters company that tracks industry trends for institutional
| investors, reported last month that Google had engaged Taiwan's High Tech
| Computer Corpto design a Linux
| software-based phone for launch in the first quarter of 2008.
`----

http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/articleinvesting.aspx?type=media&storyID=nN02242073

Linux expected to be leading Smartphone OS market by 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| I just came across this research by Diffusion Group, which found
| that Linux is set to become the leading Smartphone OS by 2010.
`----

http://irfanhabib.wordpress.com/2006/12/10/linux-to-take-over-smartphone-os-market-by-2010/

FEATURE: Mobile Linux: Why it will become the dominant mobile OS

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/feature-mobile-linux-why-it-will-become-the-dominant-mobile-os/2007-01-03