[News] Screenshots of the Newly-released Ballnux 11 Alpha 1, Microsoft Racketeering in Details

  • Subject: [News] Screenshots of the Newly-released Ballnux 11 Alpha 1, Microsoft Racketeering in Details
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 16:08:43 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
openSUSE 11.0 Alpha1 Screenshots

,----[ Quote ]
| I’ve installed openSUSE 11.0 Alpha1. This is an early alpha version,
| includes: new look of the Installer, KDE 4.0.0, NetworkManager 0.7, CUPS
| 1.3.5, Pulseaudio, etc. For more information, go here. The following are some
| screenshots of openSUSE 11.0 Alpha1.
`----

http://phorolinux.com/opensuse-110-alpha1-screenshots.html

Check out this excellent collection of Microsoft extortion examples:

More on the OSP

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft’s recent history on patents (particularly since the Novell deal in
| November 06) has a particularly public persona:
|
|     Microsoft General Counsel Brad Smith and licensing chief Horacio
|     Gutierrez sat down with Fortune recently to map out their strategy for
|     getting FOSS users to pay royalties. - Fortune
|
|     “Novell pays us some money for the right to tell customers that anybody
|     who uses SuSE Linux is appropriately covered,” Ballmer said...
|
| [...]
|
|     Mr. Ballmer once called Linux a form of intellectual-property cancer.
|     While he has since dialed back the rhetoric, the subtext remains in
|     nearly all Microsoft discussions of Linux: Use it, and you run the risk
|     that Microsoft will sue you [for patent infringement]. Post-Gazette
|
| [...]
|
| IBM’s public history in respect of patents is a little different (I have not
| included any references to IBM’s patent promise from last year):
|
|     IBM is playing a pioneering role in the World Business Council for
|     Sustainable Development’s program to open environmentally-responsible
|     patents to the general community. IT-Wire
|
|     Following up on a promise last August to not use its vast patent
|     portfolio against Linux users, IBM pledged in January to give 500 patents
|     to open source developers. Linux-Mag
`----

http://brendanscott.wordpress.com/2008/01/18/more-on-the-osp/

Watch the whole thing. Microsoft has truly become a Mafia -- and it shows!

Related and recent:

OpenSuSE 11 Alpha 0 Screenshots

http://www.decriptor.com/?p=55

why openSuse 10.3 isn't my Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| For me it’s time to say goodbye to openSuse, this system is not for a normal
| user who needs the things running without hassle. My demand on a system is
| very clear: Plug and play. Whenever I need to open the terminal window the
| developers are to dump to produce a perfect user experience. Ubuntu is
| downloading at the moment and I will test it as soon as it is burned on
| cd-rw...
`----

http://www.marvellous.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=386&Itemid=115

Review: Opensuse 10.3 Linux distribution

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.pcw.co.uk/personal-computer-world/software/2205973/review-opensuse