Re: [News] IBM Buys Linux Firm to Compete with Microsoft

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> IBM Acquisition Targets Microsoft's Small Business Server
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | IBM is acquiring Net Integration Technologies, a Toronto-based developer of
> | Linux-based business server packages that compete head-to-head with
> | Microsoft's Small Business Server. Net Integration will become part of IBM's
> | Lotus Software operation in what Lotus general manager Michael Rhodin
> | described as a bid to refocus Lotus on the SMB market.
> `----
>
> http://www.crn.com/software/205901241

LOL.

http://linux.sys-con.com/read/128165_2.htm

"Nitix's only potential detractor is their per-seat client ac
licensing model, which is similar to the Windows licensing model and
less like the Linux per server licensing scheme that many providers
like Red Hat have adopted."

http://open.nit.ca/wiki/index.php?page=OpenSourceInNitix

"While individual programs and the Linux kernel are GPLed, the
NetIntegrator / NIOS / Nitix is an aggregation of those programs and
our own proprietary code, which are distributed all together, in
compliance with the GPL and all of the other licenses under which the
individual components are licensed.

Therefore our own proprietary code does not fall under the GPL. Some
of it falls under the LGPL, which is why this site exists (see
OpenSourceProjects)

In compliance with the various licenses, we will provide the source
code for the open source parts of Nitix to anyone who asks, although
it's pretty boring, since most of it was simply downloaded straight
from Debian anyway. However, if you REALLY, REALLY want those bits,
most of them can be had by getting the wvports module from
AnonymousSubversion.

--ppatters"

See also:

http://www.citrusmicro.com/webdocs/Items/Details130.cfm

regards,
alexander.

--
"Plaintiffs? copyrights are unique and valuable property whose market
value is impossible to assess"

                             -- SOFTWARE FREEDOM LAW CENTER, INC.