[News] Major Shift Towards Free Software, Services

  • Subject: [News] Major Shift Towards Free Software, Services
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 14:21:41 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
3Com's Hilton to Address State of Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| RT: What trends are you noticing in the communications market?
|
| SH: It’s all about applications, solutions and employees’ needs to perform &
| react quickly in their marketplace. This phenomenon is driving Open Source,
| Open Services and Everything as a Service (xAAS).
`----

http://opensourcepbx.tmcnet.com/topics/open-source/articles/18771-3coms-hilton-address-state-open-source.htm

Open Source M&A

,----[ Quote ]
| Why Buy an Open Source Company, The Obvious
|
| I am sure that the 451 report was a prompted by yesterday’s acquisition of
| MySQL by Sun but what’s of interest is not just the what and how much but the
| why. The obvious reasons are outlined in the brief.
|
|     * Expansion of a Solutions Portfolio - In Sun’s case buying MySQL allows
|     them to offer an end-to-end solution for app servers (App Server, DB,
|     OS). This is the same thing Oracle’s doing with Unbreakable Linux, the
|     proprietary BEA, their own DB, and the the apps companies they have
|     acquired over the last few years. They now can boast a very broad
|     portfolio that ultimate capitalizes on their biggest asset, the Oracle
|     database.
|     * Entrance into New Markets - As the 451 report notes Yahoo’s acquisition
|     of Zimbra for $350 million gives them a stepping stone into new markets.
|     This is no different than IBM’s acquisition of proprietary Cognos who
|     gave IBM a stepping stone into the business intelligence application
|     market, a place where IBM CEO Steve Mills said he wasn’t going to play.
|
| [...]
|
| Predictions for 2008
|
| Looking at the landscape this year I think there are other acquisitions
| coming. My top pick would be Red Hat’s acquisition of EntepriseDB to give
| them OS, App Server, and DB parity with Oracle. I would guess that SugarCRM
| might be a tasty snack for SAP. Only time will tell.
`----

http://socializedsoftware.com/2008/01/18/open-source-ma/

Yesterday:

US OMB pushes for software as a service

,----[ Quote ]
| A top official with the U.S. White House's Office of Management and Budget
| (OMB) gave her strongest endorsement yet to software as a service, saying
| Wednesday it can help federal agencies cut development costs.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/17/AR2008011701046.html

Related:

The secret to Red Hat's success