Re: [News] GNOME Assimilates to Windows?

"The Ghost In The Machine" <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> stated in post
u3ilq4-ucm.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on 8/31/07 6:36 AM:

> A large chunk of all this, of course, is that Microsoft's
> visual items are what many are used to.
>
> We'll see what happens with this "innovative" "ribbon".

I was a proponent of the ribbon at first - and I still commend MS for trying
something different to better apps with so many features.  But in practice I
am not seeing the ribbon work.

With the old system novices saw two lines of buttons - and this was a bit
overwhelming but they could learn which ones to work with.  At least to some
extent.  Sure, things on those toolbars were not organized particularly well
- for example you had no visual way to know when you had to select the text
first to get an effect or when it would apply to the whole paragraph.  Not
perfect... but the ribbon just overwhelms people.  You cannot even see all
the buttons at once... you have to jump between button bars (ribbons).
Utterly baffling to many (though the old system "degraded" when people moved
or added or removed bars).

The instant view thing is good in theory but it just makes your page jump
around and distract people.  Not as good as I - and MS - hoped it would be.

For advanced users there is little benefit - they were able to use the drop
downs just fine... or use try, undo, try... neither of those new features
really benefits them much at all... and many things now take more clicks...
it is simply less efficient.

So who is the ribbon better for?

--
BU__SH__