[News] The Value of Linux Versatility in Devices

  • Subject: [News] The Value of Linux Versatility in Devices
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 08:19:26 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Hacking the world

,----[ Quote ]
| Simon Brock extols the virtues of open source inside, where using open-source
| code in commercial products can add value for both users and companies.
|
| [...]
|
| The firmware was open source because there's a cut-down Linux system running
| on the embedded ILOM hardware within the Solaris box. Now, I doubt that many
| people will want to tweak their server ILOM firmware (although there are
| bound to be a few installations where it might be required), and if anyone
| did I wouldn't want to use their revisions - but that isn't the point. The
| point is that if a product incorporates open-source software, people are at
| liberty to change the way that product works. In this column, I'll check out
| how open-source is being used in commercial products, and how people are
| tweaking those products as a result.
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/realworld/156681/hacking-the-world.html

The Linux Audio Server Project - Revisited

,----[ Quote ]
| Combining LIRC, XMMS, GRIP, VNC, Festival and some BASH scripting
`----

http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/lirc.html

Related and recent:

How to Choose the Best WRT54G Router for You

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3717916