Re: [News] Linux Fury at MSBBC Claimed to be Justified

Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:

> The point remains that Microsoft have never had any intention of
> making Silverlight/iPlayer functional on anything other than Windows.
> After spending £100 million of licence-fee payer's cash, even the
> BBC DG was lying to MPs about this, although later claimed an
> "error".

Moonlight is little more than a hack on Silverlight, and will likely
never have full Silverlight functionality due to licensing and patent
restrictions. Therefore the possibility of implementing a version of
iPlayer on GNU/Linux is very slim indeed, particularly as the Microsoft
DRM infrastructure needed for the "protected" content is unlikely to
ever be developed for Linux either.

I found a reliable source for the £100 Million figure, by the way:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=/connected/2007/12/20/dlbbc120.xml

The "lie" that Thomson made was actually WRT the capabilites of the
iPlayer "you can do that [download content] now". The lie WRT the total
*cost* of iPlayer was actually made by the woman on his right (whoever
she is ... I didn't catch the name). Thomson didn't deny her (false)
claim though.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "[Microsoft] are willing to lose money for years and years just to
|  make sure that you don't make any money, either." - Bob Cringely.
|  - http://blog.businessofsoftware.org/2007/07/cringely-the-un.html

 17:09:06 up 26 days, 14:44,  3 users,  load average: 0.05, 0.06, 0.11