Re: [News] NVIDIA Must Respond to AMD's Open Source Driver, Possible Linux Lead

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 03:22:35 GMT, alt wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 14:10:09 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:
>
>> alt <spamtrap@xxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> Could be worse. The fan could be stuck OFF!
>>
>> Hehe :-))
>
> Nothing funny about that! I had an old old Toshiba laptop that defaulted
> to leaving the CPU fan off until told to turn it on... unbeknownst to me.
>
> Unfortunately, I cooked that laptop when I installed Linux :-(

I had one that had a bug in the fan, literally!
A cricket had crawled inside the grid opening on the side of my Thinkpad
and fell asleep in the fan. Next time I turned it on, it would thermal off.
I shook it and out fell the cricket!
The machine was fine after that.