Re: [News] More Great News for PS3 Linux, Linux Gaming

> ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 15 January 2008 16:29 : \____

>>> PS3 production cost halved
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>

> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/01/14/ps3-production-cost-halved
>>>
>>> The new service that enables PS3 Linux to stream games over the network
>>> makes _a lot_ of headlines at the moment. It will give a huge boost to PS3
>>> Linux (Ubuntu/YDL) and the impending defeat of HD DVD will also make Blu-Ray
>>> attractive. This cost advantage is yet another winner. More for Linux
>>> gaming:
>>>

>> Production economics... (reflected sound of underground spirits?)
>
> This estimate came from an analyst (this was covered in The Reg). Perhaps Sony
> enjoyed the public perception that there was a huge bargain there and that
> Sony was suffering (tolerating a loss) for the sake of its customers. Let's
> see how it gains momentum when Blu-ray becomes the ONE AND ONLY standard and
> gaming over the network (with Linux) gets exposure through use.

This was always my concern with the "buy an Xbox, it'll make Microsoft
lose money" argument.  Well, unless MS are utterly incompetent, every
Xbox sold will bring them closer to break-even point.  One should not
dismiss the utter incompetence argument, though.