[News] Google's Linux Disrptive to Carriers, Microsoft, Office

  • Subject: [News] Google's Linux Disrptive to Carriers, Microsoft, Office
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 15:03:04 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Project Android capable of changing the prepaid mobile model forever.

,----[ Quote ]
| Through Project Android, Google and 30 other technology companies will offer
| the first complete, open, and free mobile platform aimed at accelerating
| innovation in mobile. It is aimed at offering consumers a richer, less
| expensive, and better mobile experience, and will change prepaid mobile
| billing and the way it operates.
`----

http://www.24-7pressrelease.com/view_press_release.php?rID=38775

Google's Working with Microsoft's Playbook on iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| And Google (GOOG) gets it. Their iPhone web apps -- which were updated again
| today -- continue to be game-changing, putting the company in the position to
| pull a Microsoft (MSFT) on Microsoft in the mobile space.
|
| How? Well, recall how Microsoft drove initial adoption of its eventually
| dominant Office apps by writing them first and best on Macintosh, just
| because it was such a compelling platform. Google is doing precisely the same
| thing right now on Apple's (AAPL) iPhone, writing game-changing apps for an
| emerging game-changing platform . Why have so few people noticed?
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/60121-google-s-working-with-microsoft-s-playbook-on-iphone?source=yahoo

Macworld preview: New tools for small biz

,----[ Quote ]
| With Microsoft's near-monopoly in office software melting like the polar ice
| cap - Google (GOOG, Fortune 500) Apps and other Web-based applications are
| cracking the Redmond continental ice pack - the folks over at One Infinite
| Loop have a prime opportunity for red-hot Apple to grab market share by
| courting the small-to-medium business.
`----

http://money.cnn.com/2008/01/14/smbusiness/macworld.fsb/index.htm?source=yahoo_quote

"One person in Helsinki can quickly write the core of a sophisticated operating
system."

                --John Warden, lead attorney at Microsoft

Related:

What Android means for Apple, MS, open source, enterprises

,----[ Quote ]
| The GPhone never happened, but Android is a much more significant development
|
| [...]
|
| A better approach, argues Dan Kohn, COO of the Linux Foundation, is to pick
| one set of standards that IT will support for calendaring, email
| applications, VPN and so on, and tell users they can use any mobile phone
| compatible with those standards.
|
| [...]
|
| What Android means for open source and Linux
| Linux already has a major presence on mobile phones, but the entrance of
| Google and the Open Handset Alliance — which has 34 member organisations
| worldwide — adds to the momentum.
|
| "We're a huge believer in diversity of options on mobile phones," Kohn of the
| Linux Foundation says. "Linux is already an important, growing presence
| there. I think having the Google software as an additional open source option
| is only going to accelerate that adoption."
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/netw/D22188C825F8528FCC257394007BE16D

Funambol CEO Fabrizio Capobianco: Linux Is Mobile's Future

,----[ Quote ]
| LinuxInsider met with Capobianco to discuss his view on the role of open
| source in creating Mobile 2.0 as a voice and data carrier parallel to the
| Internet. The meeting occurred in the wake of Google's announcement earlier
| this month that it was negotiating with wireless carriers, handset makers,
| software developers and hardware providers to use an open source mobile
| platform, Android.
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/60340.html

Google's Secret Weapon