Re: [News] Details About Novell Stff Exodus After Bullnux Deal

> ____/ Jerry McBride on Monday 14 January 2008 17:16 : \____
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Novell SA restructures, retrenches
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>

> http://www.itweb.co.za/sections/business/2008/0801141040.asp?O=FPTOP&S=Software&A=SFT
>>
>> Am I reading that right? Does that add up to a 80% cut in workforce at
>> Novell SA?
>>
>> Wow...
>
> Exodus. 1,100 jobs are yet to be axed based on rumours with confirmation from
> Novell that layoff are coming in 2008 (this was revealed to the public _just
> before Xmas_). The figures is the most pessimistic one, but it aligns with
> Matt Asay's 20-25% of the workforce. Better quit then be fired, right? That's
> why they try to escape Ballmer's ship. Ron Hovsepian took Novell on a wild
> ride in stormy seas.

Novell are in very very deep trouble.  This is nothing to do with Linux,
rather, they were in deep trouble before, and hoped that the acquisition
of SuSE would shore up their ship.  Unfortunately, they broke faith with
the community which feeds their SuSE distribution.  Silly mistake.