Re: [News] Another Example of Superior Performance in GNU/Linux

> ____/ [H]omer on Monday 14 January 2008 00:10 : \____

>>> I agree that the plots are incredible. The latter (error rate) -- not
>>> as incredible as much as predictable. The scheduler in Windows is
>>> very poor. Vista even made it worse than XP, based on the experience
>>> of several people.
>>
>> It's a pretty well know fact that Vista's scheduler is a mess.
>> What other OS cannot play audio and browse the network simultaneously?
>>
>> Mark Russinovich (exposed Sony rootkit) has a good explanation, here:
>>
>> http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2007/08/27/1833290.aspx
>
> /s/explanation/apology\/excuse/
>
> Keep it up, Mark Russinovich. You're doing a great job promoting an exodus to
> Free software.

The article is quite interesting, and, in fact, a disaster for Vista,
because it indicates a major bug in the NDIS code which causes network
throughput to be reduced inversely proportionately to the number of
network devices connected, at least assuming that the article is correct.

The author tries to claim that this won't affect your "internet
experience" with the argument that the internet is "really slow anyway".
This is a classic Microsoft bit of misinformation.  Anyone running this
on high-speed corporate networks is going to have all kinds of problems.
Anyone running this code as a server of some kind is going to have
*huge* problems.  What about those people trying to use "home server"?

But most of all, feel very sorry for those people who've spent good
money on high-speed internet access.  They are going to be very
disappointed, however, Microsoft has explained, by proxy, that they
should blame their ISP because Windows is never wrong, right?