Re: OpenOffice to the rescue!

> ____/ Thufir on Sunday 13 January 2008 11:19 : \____
>
>> On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 17:56:02 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:
>>
>>>  A steep learning curve
>>> means that a user will become productive very quickly, but conversely,
>>> can also suggest that more challenging functions might be very very
>>> difficult to understand.  A shallow learning curve means that it takes a
>>> long time to become similarly productive, but conversely, that in the
>>> long-run, the user is likely to be far more capable.
>>
>> In the long run, it doesn't matter whether it's a steep or shallow
>> learning curve, surely?  In either case the result is an equal degree of
>> competency (all else being equal).

(responding to Thufir)

In terms of the learning process, of course,  it's a non-issue, however,
this is a point of principle with respect to factual learning.  This error
is a little like referring to the primary rate of SDH as 155Mbit/s when,
in fact, the transport rate is 140Mbit/s, or calling mass "weight" when
you really mean "mass".  Or saying "If I was" when you should be saying
"If I were".  I appreciate that ill-educated people often make such
mistakes, however, it's never to late to learn, and clearly, the
learning curve theory has a very shallow learning curve, as it seems to
take people a looong time to learning how to get it right :-)

>>> vi, slrn, tin, mutt and such like, along with bash, libreadline and
>>> similar all have very shallow learning curves indeed, whereas Visual
>>> Basic has a learning curve so steep you could drop rocks off it.
>>
>> How odd, Visual Basic has steep learning curve?  I would've assumed the
>> opposite.
>
> I think it depends on the complexity of the job at hand. You don't use a
> sledgehammer to crack a nut or peel a grape.

In terms of the curve, it's very steep for visual basic, as it's easy to
churn out something very quickly indeed.  Of course, when things get
complex, then it's arguably easier to use a better language, but that is
the exactly nature of the steep learning curve.