[News] Tridge Talks About Samba and Active Directory

  • Subject: [News] Tridge Talks About Samba and Active Directory
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 07:14:11 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Samba's Tridge clusters code and crowds

,----[ Quote ]
| Q: How much will the agreement result in the increased interoperability
|    between Windows and Linux/Unix?
|
| tridge: For the sections of the protocols we already implement, Samba already
|         has quite good interoperability. Where it will make more of a
|         difference is allowing us to expand into new areas where we
|         previously lacked features that Windows servers have. For example in
|         the area of Active Directory replication, and remote indexing.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;486554008;fp;4;fpid;4

This is great news, but Microsoft appears to have some trapdoors in its
communication protocols (see below).

More government intrusion on its way, because of scary 'terrorists'.

US drafting plan to allow government access to any email or Web search

,----[ Quote ]
| National Intelligence Director Mike McConnell is drawing up plans for
| cyberspace spying that would make the current debate on warrantless wiretaps
| look like a "walk in the park," according to an interview published in the
| New Yorker's print edition today.
`----

http://rawstory.com/news/2007/US_drafting_plan_to_allow_government_0114.html

Related:

Dual_EC_DRBG Added to Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has added the random-number generator Dual_EC-DRBG to Windows
| Vista, as part of SP1. Yes, this is the same RNG that could have an NSA
| backdoor.
|
| It's not enabled by default, and my advice is to never enable it. Ever.
`----

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2007/12/dual_ec_drbg_ad.html

Microsoft Sells Out to NSA... again!

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://binaryfreedom.info/node/282

| In relation to the issue of sharing technical API and protocol
| information used throughout Microsoft products, which the
| states were seeking, Allchin alleged that releasing this
| information would increase the security risk to consumers.
|
|        "It is no exaggeration to say that the national security is
|        also implicated by the efforts of hackers to break into
|        computing networks. Computers, including many running Windows
|        operating systems, are used throughout the United States
|        Department of Defense and by the armed forces of the United
|        States in Afghanistan and elsewhere."
`----

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Allchin

Microsoft confirms that XP contains random number generator bug

,----[ Quote ]
| As recently as last Friday, Microsoft hedged in answering questions about
| whether XP and Vista could be attacked in the same way, saying only that
| later versions of Windows "contain various changes and enhancements to the
| random number generator."
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9048438&intsrc=hm_list

Cryptome: NSA has access to Windows Mobile smartphones

,----[ Quote ]
| First time in history Cryptome.org has released information about the
| characteristics of NSA’s network surveillance.
`----

http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/1028

Microsoft wireless keyboards crypto cracked

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/03/wireless_keyboard_crypto_cracked/