[News] [SOT] Privacy Compromised in the Name of 'Public Safety'

  • Subject: [News] [SOT] Privacy Compromised in the Name of 'Public Safety'
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 16:23:23 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Brunel University uses spam filter to fight cyber bullying

,----[ Quote ]
| Brunel University has adapted its spam filter to help fight email bullying.
|
| Based in the west of London, the university is one of the main higher
| education centres in the city and uses a distributed email system.
|
| The system receives five million emails a week, much of it spam. As policy
| development and quality manager at the university's computer centre, it's Ian
| Liddell's job to make sure spam is automatically filtered out, without
| blocking any important correspondence between academics at the college and
| others elsewhere.
|
| The system Brunel uses to screen spam, supplied by Secure Computing, is
| flexible enough to be used for other tasks in addition to filtering -
| including detecting email bullying.
`----

http://www.silicon.com/publicsector/0,3800010403,39169629,00.htm?r=1

Pirate leader Falkvinge: "Our enemy has no intellectual capital to bring to the
battle"

,----[ Quote ]
| What was remarkable was that this was the point where the enemy - forces that
| want to lock down culture and knowledge at the cost of total surveillance -
| realized they were under a serious attack, and mounted every piece of defense
| they could muster. For the first time, we saw everything they could bring to
| the battle.
|
| And it was... nothing. Not even a fizzle. All they can say is "thief, we have
| our rights, we want our rights, nothing must change, we want more money,
| thief, thief, thief". And shove some poor artists in front of them to deliver
| the message. Whereas we are talking about scarcity vs. abundance, monopolies,
| the nature of property, 500-year historical perspectives on culture and
| knowledge, incentive structures, economic theory, disruptive technologies,
| etc. The difference in intellectual levels between the sides is astounding.
|
| So now we know what the enemy has, and that they have absolutely nothing in
| terms of intellectual capital to bring to the battle. They do, however, have
| their bedside connections with the current establishment. That's the major
| threat to us at this point.
|
| [...]
|
| The people who have been led to believe that file sharing can be stopped with
| minimal intrusion are basically smoking crack.
|
| Early on in the debate, we dropped the economic arguments altogether and
| focused entirely on civil liberties and the right to privacy. This has proven
| to be a winning strategy, with my keynote "Copyright Regime vs. Civil
| Liberties" being praised as groundbreaking.
|
| The economic arguments are strong, but debatable. There are as many reports
| as there are interests in copyright, and every report arrives at a new
| conclusion. If you just shout and throw reports over the volleyball net at
| the other team, it becomes a matter of credibility of the reports. When you
| switch to arguing civil liberties, you dropkick that entire discussion.
`----

http://www.p2pconsortium.com/index.php?showtopic=15274

Related:

BitTorrent Admin Monitored by US Government, Forced to Dump Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Sk0t, an ex-administrator of the EliteTorrents BitTorrent tracker is to have
| his internet connection forcibly monitored by the US Government. If that
| wasn’t bad enough, the monitoring software is Windows based - which means he
| is being forced to ditch Linux - or face being barred from the internet.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-admin-monitored-by-us-government-forced-to-dump-linux/

Senators want probe of Comcast's BitTorrent 'discrimination'

,----[ Quote ]
| The senators suggested the incidents indicate "Congress should consider
| adopting targeted regulations to protect consumers and ensure a vibrant and
| open communications platform."
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9805308-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Congressman to Comcast: Stop interfering with BitTorrent

,----[ Quote ]
| While a class action lawsuit is definitely one way to get Comcast to behave,
| another perhaps more productive way to do so is to have politicians step in
| and regulate.
|
| On Tuesday, I discussed the issue of Comcast's anti-BitTorrent "network
| management" with Rep. Rick Boucher, D-Va., who is a strong supporter of
| consumer rights and has led the battle to undo the damage caused by the
| Digital Millennium Copyright Act, or DMCA.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9804158-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Torrentspy Disables Searching For US IPs

`----

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/27/1541244&from=rss