[News] Android is Out as a Prototype, Mobile Linux a Big Money Saver

  • Subject: [News] Android is Out as a Prototype, Mobile Linux a Big Money Saver
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 07:08:13 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Introducing the first Android prototype

,----[ Quote ]
| Morgan Gillis, executive director of the LiMo Foundation, an industry group
| dedicated to creating a Linux-based operating system for mobile devices, says
| handset makers typically spend $500 million, at a minimum, to launch an
| operating system. Gillis says few handset makers will be willing to commit to
| Android until the full platform, including the critical source code, is
| nailed down tight.
`----

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/technology/2008-01-13-android-google_N.htm

"One person in Helsinki can quickly write the core of a sophisticated operating
system."

                --John Warden, lead attorney at Microsoft

| "Linux will take a significant--I'm not allowed to say 'dominant'--market
| share of mobile phone operating systems," she predicted. Motorola expects
| 60% of its phones will use a version of embedded Linux "in a short
| time," Wyatt said.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20070617/tc_cmp/199904892

When open phones meet closed minds

,----[ Quote ]
| The second aspect of this change is the availability of open phones. Not only
| are the phones open, but their operating systems are open too, running Linux.
| One of the world's first open-source mobile phones, First International
| Computer's (FIC) Neo1973, is due to be launched in autumn 2007 — costing much
| less than an Apple iPhone. Others will follow as open development
| environments for Linux, such as Qtopia Greenphone, become available.
| Additionally, some of the major network operators are hedging their bets on
| this trend, with involvement in either the LiMo Foundation (NTT DoCoMo,
| Vodafone) or the Linux Phone Standards (LiPS) Forum (Orange / France Telecom,
| Telecom Mobile Italia).
`----

http://resources.zdnet.co.uk/articles/comment/0,1000002985,39289506,00.htm?r=3

Closed iPhone opens road for Linux phones

,----[ Summary ]
| With iPhone a closed platform, Linux gets an wide-open road for phones and
| other smart devices
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/yager/archives/2007/08/apple_gives_lin.html?source=rss

iPhone matures the "free your phone" movement

,----[ Quote ]
| This is why FreeTheIPhone.org project is born, but even better, why OpenMoko
| project exists. While some are trying to free the locked down device, others
| are creating a free unlocked device from the start, and a whole software
| framework to go with it.
`----

http://www.mobiliberty.com/iphone_matures_free_your_phone_movement

New "Free the iPhone" campaign pressures FCC over exclusive deals

,----[ Quote ]
| As controversy continues, the iPhone's exclusive carrier deal with AT&T may
| fuel a revolt against all exclusive cellphone contracts. And joining the
| fight is a new web site: Free the iPhone.org.
`----

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure
%20/2007/07/13/new-free-the-iphone-campaign-pressures-fcc-over-exclusive-deals/

Open-source mobile phones could unleash sales

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux users knows that most of the software they need is available
| online on the repositories (repo). You could just use the apt-get
| command to download and install automatically. Neo1973 also has
| this capability called the Application Manager that works similar
| to the apt-get function. Then your phone would be like a PC. You
| can upgrade your software or even the operating system. And you
| can share software with your friends.
`----

http://www.bangkokpost.com/Business/04Apr2007_biz42.php

OpenMoko Interface - I'm Loving It!

,----[ Quote ]
| It reminds me of one of my favorite Window manager, Enlightenment
| with its brushed metal background and such. Looking at OpenMoko,
| makes me wanting iPhone less and less (well i prefer open source
| over anything, anytime, any day) and i cant wait to dig in and
| make some hacks and application for this smartphone. Enjoy the
| screenshots of the OpenMoko interface.
`----

http://www.slashgear.com/openmoko-interface-im-loving-it-173496.php

FEATURE: Mobile Linux: Why it will become the dominant mobile OS

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/feature-mobile-linux-why-it-will-become-the-dominant-mobile-os/2007-01-03