[News] Moving Loved One to Linux Easier Than Imagined

  • Subject: [News] Moving Loved One to Linux Easier Than Imagined
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 14:11:24 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
State of Affairs: The Linux Girlfriend Project - Two Months In The Trenches

,----[ Quote ]
| Eventually, I ended up settling on Linux Mint, and a few customizations
| later, the computer had an uncanny resemblance of the Windows XP operating
| system it replaced - “Start Menu,” Bliss background and everything. It was
| good enough to fool both roommates… they’ve NEVER mentioned a peep about any
| problems at all. As a test, I asked one of them (who were unaware of the
| switch) if they noticed any problems with the computer since I had been
| working on it.
`----

http://www.fsckin.com/2008/01/10/state-of-affairs-the-linux-girlfriend-project-two-months-in-the-trenches/

Related:

Thank [Deity of Your Choice] For Choice

,----[ Quote ]
| My family are in the last category. At my house, the desktop PC runs Kubuntu.
| My 57-year-old mother-in-law surfs on it. My 4-year-old daughter draws with
| TuxPaint and Potato Guy on it. Neither have received Linux-specific training.
| Neither are even really aware or concerned about what OS they are using. Both
| can open and close applications, maximize and minimize windows, drag things
| around, and basically do what they need to do. Neither are aware that when
| the operating system updates, so does all the application software, but both
| like that their software is always there, working perfectly. The adults are
| especially impressed that the software "comes to you" rather than you having
| to go look for it on the web.
`----

http://menpro.blogspot.com/2008/01/thank-deity-of-your-choice-for-choice.html

Even YiaYia loves Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Many people are still in denial that Linux is a viable alternative to Windows
| on the desktop. I have written numerous posts of my experiments with several
| Linux distributions and my dumping of Vista. In yet another post, I talked
| about my plans to switch my parents over to Linux.
`----

http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/eai/madgreek/archives/even-yiayia-loves-linux-20692

Why I Will Recommend Linux To Family This Year

,----[ Quote ]
| So, my approach to Linux in the family would be to start with the kids!
| Okay, I’ll give you a hint, I already have started with them on Linux, and
| it’s working.
`----

http://www.velocitywebdev.com/2007/12/01/why-i-will-recommend-linux-to-family-this-year/

Desktop Adapted for Dad