[News] Many/All Your Publications Are Belong [sic] to Microsoft?

  • Subject: [News] Many/All Your Publications Are Belong [sic] to Microsoft?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 10:09:02 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft and Elsevier may become partners

http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2008/01/microsoft-elsevier.html

OA=OSS, Elsevier=Microsoft

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2006/06/oaoss-elseviermicrosoft.html

This seems to break their promise. Maybe a reason to steer away from Elsevier
journals and do IEEE instead?

Related:

Elsevier duo say the future is open

,----[ Quote ]
| Two senior publishers have departed Elsevier and joined rival Biomed
| Central, placing their bets on an open access future for scientific
| research.
`----

http://www.iwr.co.uk/information-world-review/news/2171597/elsevier-duo-say-future-open

OUP wants me to pay for my own Open Access article

,----[ Quote ]
| The journal wishes to charge me 48 USD to:
|
|     * USE MY OWN ARTICLE
|     * ON WHICH I HOLD COPYRIGHT
|     * FOR NON-COMMERCIAL PURPOSES (TEACHING)
|
| The journal is therefore
|
|     * SELLING MY INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
|     * WITHOUT MY PERMISSION
|     * AGAINST THE TERMS OF THE LICENCE (NO COMMERCIAL USE)
|
| I am lost for words...
`----

http://wwmm.ch.cam.ac.uk/blogs/murrayrust/?p=529

Academia's Open Access movement mirrors FOSS community

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/118139