Re: Desktop Linux Usage Keeps Growing Steadily (and Quietly) Every Year

____/ thad05@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Friday 11 January 2008 04:47 : \____

> Cletus Spencer <cspencer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Yes. Linux is growing in the server space by cannabilizing Unix installs.
>> Most everyone already knows this.
>
> While there is still no doubt plenty of Unix to Linux migration
> going on, it seems to have tapered off in recent years (all the
> low hanging fruit has been picked probably).  Nowadays I see a
> lot of expansion of existing Linux infrastructure, completely
> new roll-outs, and even plenty of Windows to Linux conversions.

Even Microsoft-Watch, which is very pro-Microsoft (especially since Mary Jo
Foley was replaced by Joe Wilcox) moved from Windows to Red Hat about 8 months
ago. That was ***after*** Joe Wilcox, who clearly hates Linux (and shows it),
took over.

I can't recall the last time my personal site had a downtime. I actually
thought about it two hours ago because I realised that I take uptime and
consistent high performance for granted. The site runs on Red Hat Enterprise
Linux.

Roy S. Schestowitz     | GPL - Global Programmer's Law
 11:20:01 up 32 days, 8 min,  4 users,  load average: 0.50, 0.80, 1.04