[News] 'Open-Source' Journalism Fights Censorship, Suppression

  • Subject: [News] 'Open-Source' Journalism Fights Censorship, Suppression
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 02:02:51 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
'Open-Source' Journalism: Crowdsourcing the Media

,----[ Quote ]
| Beating Censorship Worldwide
|
| In Myanmar in September, when the military killed several protesters, citizen
| reporters leapt into action to fill the traditional role of local and
| international media, which were heavily censored by the ruling junta. When
| Japanese journalist Kenji Nagai was killed in the line of duty, the first
| images of the event seeped out through an invisible news "bureau" -- a
| combination of blogs, Flickr photos, videos on YouTube Latest News about
| YouTube and even e-mail E-Mail Marketing Software - Free Trial. Click Here..
| Blogs such as the Burma Underground were filled with reports filed by Citjos.

Wired's Open Source Journalism Project Could Produce Rich Content

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, today, Wired Magazine has announced a project that instead of
| fighting that trend, is using it to generate content. Wired has
| announced an experiment in new, new media called Assignment Zero
| that will investigate the wisdom, creativity, power, and potential
| of crowdsourcing...
`----

http://media.seekingalpha.com/article/29792

Yahoo partners with Reuters on eyewitness pictures

,----[ Quote ]
| Yahoo, in partnership with Reuters, is inviting the public to
| contribute eyewitness photos and videos of news events, in the
| latest move to turn spectators into on-the-spot journalists.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6140353.html

Ready for open source journalism?

,----[ Quote ]
| The Internet sites of most newspapers have become part of their
| editorial strategy. Just look at leading papers such as the New York
| Times, the FT, the Wall Street Journal... Their business models is not
| always very clear to me (you can access articles and archive by
| subscription, pay for the particular article you are looking for,
| articles may be free up to a week after their initial publication...)
| but newspapers cannot live without the Web anymore.
`----

http://www.365questions.org/2006/10/03/ready-for-open-source-journalism/

Editing Horizontally: Thanks to Reuters, NewAssignment.Net Can Hire Someone

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://journalism.nyu.edu/pubzone/weblogs/pressthink/2006/09/20/rts_gft.html