[News] Intel Accused of Monopoly Abused in More and More Places

  • Subject: [News] Intel Accused of Monopoly Abused in More and More Places
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 01:58:01 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Intel slapped with new antitrust investigation

,----[ Quote ]
| New York state Attorney General Andrew Cuomo has launched an antitrust
| investigation of Intel, after his office served a wide-ranging subpoena on
| the chip giant.
|
| Cuomo is investigating whether Intel violated state and federal antitrust
| laws by coercing customers to exclude its main rival, Advanced Micro Devices
| (AMD), from the worldwide market for PC central processing units (CPUs),
| Cuomo said in a news release.
|
| The subpoena seeks information on Intel's pricing practices and possible
| attempts to exclude competitors through its market power, Cuomo's office
| said.
`----

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?newsID=11099&pagtype=all

How many continents does that make? Intel viciously sabotaged OLPC without any
ethics. It broke the law too (many times).

Related:

US antitrust group urges Intel investigation

,----[ Quote ]
| The American Antitrust Institute (AAI), a Washington DC lobby group, has
| written an open letter to the Federal Trade Commission urging an
| investigation of Intel's allegedly monopolistic business practices.
|
| [...]
|
| AAI say its insistence of an investigation is based on allegations by AMD in
| a private case and information obtained by the EC's complaint, which have not
| been made public
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/30/aai_wants_intel_probe_expansion/

Intel urged to give more data on flash unit deal

,----[ Quote ]
| ...U.S. Federal Trade Commission has requested additional information on the
| company's deal with STMicroelectronics...
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUKWNAS317820070830?rpc=44

The Fight for Fair and Open Competition

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD is an undisputed technology and innovation leader.
|
| However, Intel's abusive, illegal monopolistic behavior is preventing
| businesses and consumers alike from choosing freely between AMD and Intel
| products.
`----

http://breakfree.amd.com/en-us/antitrust.aspx

EC says Intel influenced bids for computer projects

,----[ Quote ]
| The third type of allegation, however, was new, and sounded like a variety of
| predatory pricing. “In the context of bids against AMD-based products for
| strategic customers in the server segment of the market,” the commission
| press release said, “Intel has offered CPUs on average below cost.”
`----

http://legalpad.blogs.fortune.com/2007/08/03/ec-says-intel-influenced-bids-for-computer-projects/

Negroponte says Intel should be "ashamed of itself"

,----[ Quote ]
| He is furious that Intel's CEO Craig Barrett called the One Laptop a
| gadget. The Negroponte initiative is caught in the middle of a vicious
| fight between AMD and Intel, he said.

AMD chief condemns Intel 'abuses'

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2005, after the Japan Fair Trade Commission found Intel guilty of
| offering illegal rebates to Japanese PC makers, AMD filed an anti-trust
| suit against its competitor in the U.S. District Court in Delaware. The
| case has not been decided.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/06/21/amd_ceo_condemns_intel_abuses/

AMD: Intel Destroyed Evidence in Antitrust Case

,----[ Quote ]
| In an unpublished statement to the U.S. District Court of Delaware,
| AMD alleges Intel allowed the destruction of evidence in pending
| antitrust litigation.

Video: Henri Richard comes out swinging at Intel during AMD press conference

,----[ Quote ]
| [AMD's Henri Richard:] "I am sick and tired of being pushed around
| by a competitor that doesn't respect the rules of fair and open
| competition."
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Berlind/?p=363

Investors sue Dell on payments from Intel: WSJ

,----[ Quote ]
| An investor lawsuit seeking class-action status accuses Dell Inc. of
| improper accounting in its relationship with chip giant Intel,
| according to a media report published Thursday evening.
|
| [...]
|
| The suit alleges that Dell received at times as much as $1 billion
| a year in "secret and likely illegal" kickbacks in the form of
| "e-Cap" or "exception to corporate average pricing" payments"
| from Intel to ensure that Dell used no other chip supplier,
| according to The Journal.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/investors-sue-dell-payments-intel/story.aspx?guid=%7B400315B0%2DE375%2D4920%2DB300%2D784220BEFE35%7D&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo

Lenovo got financial help from Intel, claim

,----[ Quote ]
| Journalists on the title said Lenovo is being paid a "pretty
| penny" from Intel to use its chips.

| In 2005, a unit of Shenzhen Donjin countersued, saying Intel engaged
| in monopolistic practices.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070514/china_intel_settlement.html?.v=7

Intel's anti-trust memos started vanishing from the top

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/11/intel_tortellini_episode/