Re: OT: AT&T and Other ISPs May Be Getting Ready to Filter Internet Usage

____/ [H]omer on Thursday 10 January 2008 19:38 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee, that Linonut spake thusly:
>> * jim fired off this tart reply:
>
>>> But ISPs may be about to embrace a new metaphor: traffic cop.
>>
>> Ultimately, they'll have to block all encrypted traffic, or
>> transmission of encryption keys.
>
> Well, before I read your comment I was going to say "shell account" but
> if, as you say, they start blocking ssh too then that really will be the
> end of the last vestiges of .Net freedom.
>
> The ISP I'm with ATM already throttles encrypted traffic. As a result of
> that, and various other issues, they've lost probably half of their
> customers (judging by comments on the forum). I don't know why I've
> tolerated it as long as I have.
>
>> If that has come to pass, well, let's just say that the phrase "It's
>> a free country" will be rendered ironic.
>
> The irony of our faux freedom is nothing new, but as bad as it's been,
> it's been getting progressively worse at a seemingly accelerated rate
> over the last few years (the Bush/Blair years).

Patriot Act. What a [H|F]aux! Don't you think it has much to do with the
pres/PM. They are being controlled behind the scenes. There are other powers
at play. Let's see how many years it takes before we have licensed and
unlicensed blogs? Or several 'internets' whose scope and performance depend on
many factor of convenience (not the users' convenience of course).

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "I think I think, therefore I think I am"