[News] JBoss Founder Explains the Success of the GPL

  • Subject: [News] JBoss Founder Explains the Success of the GPL
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 08:07:14 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Quickies #5: GPL or BSD?

,----[ Quote ]
| At the end of the day the argument is also one of philosophical taste. I say
| the GPL is great because it enables individual developers to grow businesses
| fast on dual licensing. Others may prefer the more permissive approach of
| letting anyone do whatever they please with their code.
`----

http://marcf.blogspot.com/2008/01/quickies-5-gpl-or-bsd.html

Microsoft: Freedom is a virus [IMG]

http://dashofdaniel.deviantart.com/art/Freedom-is-a-virus-73311998

(spin on Microsoft's "cancer" remark)

Yesterday:

GPL and BSD : impact

,----[ Quote ]
| Corporations like Microsoft love the BSD-style licenses. Case in point is the
| Microsoft NT TCP/IP stack, which is basically a binary copy of the BSD TCP/IP
| stack. With a BSD-Style license, while code can not be stolen, rights of
| ownership cannot be enforced either.
|
| [...]
|
| One of the points I was originally aiming for was how the GPLv2 license was
| suited for much of the commercial software that is sold today, and the topic
| on my mind was video games. However... I went into how that would work a
| while ago with Auto Assault. So... not going to repeat myself.
`----

http://zerias.blogspot.com/2008/01/gpl-and-bsd-impact.html

Related:

GPL vs BSD, a matter of sustainability

,----[ Quote ]
| So what can we conclude from all this? Both license models make software
| free, but only GPL software is sustainably free. The BSD gives greater
| freedom, the GPL gives more freedom. Choose which one you value more.
`----

http://www.matusiak.eu/numerodix/blog/index.php/2007/12/15/gpl-vs-bsd-a-matter-of-sustainability/

Open Source coders caught stealing Open Source code

,----[ Quote ]
| Developers of OpenBSD took code from their brethren at Linux, violating
| the code's licence, the GPL. To the horror of the Linux folk, the
| OpenBSD licence allows proprietary use.

That Which We Call Free

,----[ Quote ]
| GNU Project and Free Software Foundation founder Richard Stallman posted a
| message on the OpenBSD -misc mailing list titled, "real men don't attack
| straw men", suggesting that some comments he had made were being
| misrepresented.
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/OpenBSD/That_Which_We_Call_Free

SFLC on Atheros Driver Issue

,----[ Quote ]
| Let me therefore point out one last time that if the threats of litigation
| and bluster about crime and malpractice--none of which has the slightest
| basis in fact or law--were withdrawn, we would be able to resume detailed
| communication with everyone who has a stake in the outcome.
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/SFLC_on_Atheros_Driver_Issue
http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-kernel/2007/9/16/261061

Linux: Continuing Dual-Licensing Discussions

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Continuing_Dual-Licensing_Discussions