Re: [News] French Police Moves to GNU/Linux!!

____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Wednesday 30 January 2008 23:58 : \____

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, John Locke
> <johnlocke98513@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Wed, 30 Jan 2008 13:56:05 -0800
> <vpr1q39pt1l2bl8nr9m4t32388ep9cguj8@xxxxxxx>:
>> On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 12:46:01 -0800, The Ghost In The Machine
>> <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>>Just to confuse things.
>>>
>>>http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2002/dec02/12-17TCOstudy.mspx
>>>http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/12/02/021202hnlinuxcosts.html
>>>
>>>(I'm having minor difficulties finding the actual paper.)
>>>
>>>And of course there's a study that suggests Linux is
>>>cheaper:
>>>
>>>http://www.cyber.com.au/cyber/about/linux_vs_windows_tco_comparison.pdf
>>>

>> The studies seem to indicate that IT staffing is a major factor ROI
>> and TCO but the fact is there are more and better Linux technicians
>> emerging into the computer field.
>>
>> "IDC's findings, published Monday in a study commissioned by
>> Microsoft, suggest that the Windows 2000 Server operating system has a
>> lower total cost of ownership (TCO) than Linux, mainly due to savings
>> associated with staffing"
>>
>> The studies also don't mention the reoccurring cost of licensing new
>> versions of Microsoft software and the reoccurring cost of having to
>> upgrade hardware due to Microsoft's resource hungry code.
>>
>> ..and then there's the cost of maintaining security on a Microsoft
>> system that's the target of every hacker and virus coder on the
>> planet.
>>
>> ..and then there's the problem that these studies were "commisioned
>> by Microsoft"....
>
> Well, yes; the IDC study has been largely discredited, AFAIK.
> Not sure it's worth the electrons it's printed on...  ;-)
>
> As for the virus problem...NATs might take care of a good chunk
> of the incoming packets, but there's still the trojans and
> various browser security holes that phishers and pharmers can
> leverage, or try to leverage.

Bill Gates is IDC's investor, for starters. A lot of IDC's revenue also comes
from Microsoft (directly, not Bill Gates). To some CEOs, IDC is seen as a
joke. It's a pay-to-say firm.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    It is no longer uncommon to be uncommon