[News] Sun Tells 'Microsoft Magazine' Why OOXML is Inherently Broken

  • Subject: [News] Sun Tells 'Microsoft Magazine' Why OOXML is Inherently Broken
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 16:04:49 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
5 Questions with Sun Microsystems' Simon Phipps

,----[ Quote ]
| As another Sun employee, Erwin Tenhumberg, pointed out in his blog quoting a
| KOffice developer, OOXML's goal is compatibility with one particular
| application -- Microsoft Office. Therefore, OOXML is very closely related to
| and dependent on the Microsoft Office implementation. In contrast, ODF is
| based on the OpenOffice.org XML file format, not the OpenOffice.org
| implementation.
|
| That's a huge difference because the OpenOffice.org XML file format was
| designed with application, vendor and platform independence in mind...
`----

http://reddevnews.com/blogs/weblog.aspx?blog=1861

Related:

[Sarcasm] MICROSOFT drops support for OOXML!

,----[ Quote ]
| The decision of backing up TXT format by MICROSOFT means, that the OOXML
| format name will have to be changed and its development & research will be
| passed on to another company or organization.
`----

http://polishlinux.org/apps/openofficeorg/microsoft-drops-support-for-ooxml/

Microsoft won't commit to the open document standard it's pushing so hard

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.techworld.com/storage/features/index.cfm?featureid=3685&pagtype=all