Re: [News] So-Called 'Piracy' Resolved with the Free Software Model

JEDIDIAH wrote:

> On 2008-01-29, Peter Köhlmann <peter.koehlmann@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Linonut wrote:
>>
>>> * Peter Köhlmann peremptorily fired off this memo:

>>> Right after you explain why the BSD license was not sufficient.
>>>

>> I asked Mark Kent to tell his "version". After all, he is all for
>> destroying Tivo, who have done everything as demanded by the GPL2. He is
>> all for not having closed source blobs in drivers, making whole groups of
>> devices impossible to use on linux.
>
>    The GPL was invented because some "crackpot" was pissed off about
> not being able to fix a device drivers. So the idea that the GPL might
> torpedo binary-only drivers is very appropriate.

That was not GPL3, and I am talking about drivers which need firmware blobs
which are closed source

> [deletia]
>
>    Any person that's not completely gullible  should be suspicious of a
> driver that needs to hide.

Explain that to the governments which *demand* that certain aspects of WiFi
cards can't be changed by the users.
So you think it is OK that most WiFi cards are not useable anymore if the
kernel went GPL3? Really? That is truly your position?
--
The easiest way to figure the cost of living is to take your income
and add ten percent.