Re: If M$ FUDites aren't worried...

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 29 Jan 2008 16:05:08 +0000
<1242012.OPIPR78VMR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> ____/ Linonut on Tuesday 29 January 2008 12:21 : \____
>
>> * Roy Schestowitz peremptorily fired off this memo:
>>
>>> ____/ RonB on Tuesday 29 January 2008 06:40 : \____

>>> Yes, this question was brough up many times before. The same applies to
>>> trolls that attack a  variety of Web sites (even mine). Microsoft has
>>> acknowledged that GNU/Linux is its greatest threat for many years. It does
>>> everything it can to harm it and it has been caught shilling against Linux
>>> too.
>>
>> Linux strengths wouldn't be such an issue to Microsoft if the rest of
>> the competition were still around.
>>
>> Does the e-mail say it's about 'enlargement' -- that might be spam.
>> -- Bill Gates, BBC News (24 January 2004)
>
> ...Says the guy who has a department to check all the spewage which comes from
> compromised Windows PCs. He hasn't the dick to admit it. Maybe he should start
> cleaning up his own SPAM... and maybe even click on a link or two.
>
> Gates should use the foundation to fund personal assistant to all of us who
> purge 100,000,000,000 E-mail messages per day (unless the servers intercept
> them along with legitimate mail).

Exaggeration, to be sure, but certainly I get a lot
more email than I should, most of it useless junk.
(Of course part of it is my fault anyway; the email below
is legitimate but not exactly something I peruse on a
daily basis.)

I'd estimate I get about 100-200 or so emails a day but
haven't tallied them up recently.  Were I to take them up
on all of their offers I'd probably have a thing the size
of a road grader....  :-)

Not sure how much to blame Microsoft, how much to blame
Murphy's Law, and how much of it is simply because of
sloppiness on the user's part for not securing his system
properly.

The last is an issue but Microsoft could make it a lot
easier, by following Linux's lead and not opening generally
useless ports.

The middle one is arguably best illustrated by noting
that Microsoft decided to lock files in a rather odd way,
requiring bodgearounds that could be exploitable.  In
short, a rather basic design decision led to very unexpected
consequences.

And yet, they expend energy attacking us.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
People think that libraries are safe.  They're wrong.  They have ideas.
(Also occasionally ectoplasmic slime and cute librarians.)