[News] It's All About (Linux) Devices, Not Desktops

  • Subject: [News] It's All About (Linux) Devices, Not Desktops
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 17:16:15 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
10 billion ARM processors, and counting

,----[ Quote ]
| While the x86 architecture reigns supreme in the PC market, a range of other
| CPU architectures are generally preferred in embedded devices due to cost,
| space, and power constraints. One of these — the ARM architecture — has now
| shipped in more than 10 billion devices.
`----

http://www.deviceguru.com/2008/01/26/10-billion-arm-processors-and-counting/

It's all about mobility.

Opinion: Goodbye, notebook; hello 'Web tablet'

|     * Asus Eee -- A tiny clamshell design; runs Linux and can also run
|     Windows XP (if you must).
|
|     * Nokia N810 -- The latest in a series that began with the groundbreaking
|     770; now vastly improved with a very good browser (Mozilla) and a
|     slide-out physical keyboard.
|
|     * One Laptop Per Child -- This largely philanthropic effort may also
|     yield business products over time; Intel's Classmate PC has similar
|     potential.
|
| Linux may in fact become the preferred platform for these devices in the
| future, given that it's 1) free, and 2) widely adopted by the software
| development community. I think we may see more of these products announced
| this year, despite the immaturity of this approach and the lack of any formal
| definition of this type of device.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9059278&intsrc=hm_list
http://tinyurl.com/2rl5ee

Related:

Four billion embedded systems shipped in '06

Linux loyalty runs high among embedded software developers, says VDC

,----[ Quote ]
| Looking ahead, 87% percent of Linux users plan to use Linux in their next
| project. In both cases, use of free distributions outnumbered use of paid
| distributions by a sizable margin.
`----

http://software.tekrati.com/research/9436/

Microsoft cans key conference